PDA

View Full Version : cant be right friend is lookin for trouble

legion
05-05-2018, 08:15 AM
i have a buddy who tells me he seats his 6.5 creed bullets using a 6.5x55 swede seat die
he says he unscrews it so the shoulder isnt contacted and he just adjusts the die seat stem to set the bullet
he uses 6.5 creed appropriate shell holder
is he out of his mind or is this ok
his excuse is he cant find creed dies in kenora

Robinhood
05-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Seems like the swede die would be too long affecting case alignment potentially causing bullet RO, but if the bolt will close and the powder is right, why not? He could use a mallet also. How about this, can they get mail in northern Ontario? If so why not order one?

legion
05-05-2018, 11:50 AM
agreed i think hes just a cheap mofo
maybe he will learn a hard lesson
ty

want2ride
05-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Hi from across the lake!
If it works.... good for him. I have only been reloading for a couple years now and I am not an expert, but it seems like that is asking for some type of trouble.

Evlshnngns
05-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Hornady "custom grade" dies are by caliber. It has a moving sleeve that fits around the case neck early in the up stroke, and aligns the case to the seating stem. It works on my swede and the creed. I don't have a runout gauge to say how well it works.

pisgah
05-06-2018, 01:32 PM
If he's backing the die out until only the seating function is taking place, he's not risking anything, really, beyond a bit of bullet runout of he's careless.

legion
05-06-2018, 04:43 PM
yes he has lee dies and he unscrews enough that only the seat function works

charlie b
09-02-2018, 02:52 PM
The Lee dies also have the 'floating' seat so should work fine. They only contact the case neck enough to align the bullet and case.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk