PDA

View Full Version : checkering on boyds stock

ohihunter2014
05-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Is the checkering worth the $55 on a boyds? I'm going to place an order this weekend and just wondering if i should spring for it or is it like a pressed in junky checkering?

Also, checkering, scale or stippling? Mostly a bench and prone gun so not even sure i need any of it?

SageRat Shooter
05-01-2018, 03:24 PM
If you are going to be carrying it for hunting at all, then I'd say yes... Boyds stocks are VERY slippery when they get wet. If it's just going to be a bench gun then I'd say skip it.

I like the Stippling design myself, but everyone has their preference.

I did not put any checkering or stippling on mine... I went with the Pro Varmint stock, but Mine is geared more for long range steel. I only take it hunting as a "bake up" rifle to my 06. That is how I figured out that maybe I should have had some stippling added... Snow, rain, and fleece gloves= slippery stock.

foxx
05-01-2018, 06:01 PM
I prefer the checkering because I am traditionalist. It's cut very sharp.

I believe it is the best $55 you will ever spend on a stock. As Sage said above, they are slippery without it. However, just as he said, I do not think the Provarmint model needs it as much, particularly if you are just bench shooting.

Also, if you do choose any kind of checkering, don't get the Classic or Prairie Hunter. The checkering does not wrap around the underside of the forearm on these. Instead, go Heritage (counterpart to Prairie Hunter) or Platinum (counterpart to Classic)

ohihunter2014
05-01-2018, 06:25 PM
I prefer the checkering because I am traditionalist. It's cut very sharp.

I believe it is the best $55 you will ever spend on a stock. As Sage said above, they are slippery without it. However, just as he said, I do not think the Provarmint model needs it as much, particularly if you are just bench shooting.

Also, if you do choose any kind of checkering, don't get the Classic or Prairie Hunter. The checkering does not wrap around the underside of the forearm on these. Instead, go Heritage (counterpart to Classic) or Platinum (counterpart to Prairie Hunter)
I was going to go classic.

What is the difference between the classic and platinum?

SageRat Shooter
05-01-2018, 06:31 PM
The difference is in the forend grip... The Classic has a cutout/ledge that your fingers are supposed to set on when holding the forend to shoot free hand. The Platinum does not have the cutout/ledge or "finger groove" if you will.

That's why the stippling/checkering doesn't wrap all the way around on the classic.

ohihunter2014
05-01-2018, 07:08 PM
The difference is in the forend grip... The Classic has a cutout/ledge that your fingers are supposed to set on when holding the forend to shoot free hand. The Platinum does not have the cutout/ledge or "finger groove" if you will.

That's why the stippling/checkering doesn't wrap all the way around on the classic.
Thanks! Do you know if one is narrower than the other? I seen a comment a few moments ago elsewhere that the forend is narrower/rounder on the platinum and the classic is square better for a front rest.

SageRat Shooter
05-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Thanks! Do you know if one is narrower than the other? I seen a comment a few moments ago elsewhere that the forend is narrower/rounder on the platinum and the classic is square better for a front rest.

I don't know that one... I only have a Prairie hunter and the Pro Varmint... I'm sure someone else has the Platinum or Heritage, hopefully they will chime in.

foxx
05-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Hold on...

I needed to correct my earlier post...

Classic has low comb, Prairie Hunter has high comb.

Platinum is more like Classic, but a rounder forend. Heritage is more like the Prairie Hunter, but also has rounder forearm. I have had all of these, (I am a dealer) and whatever advantage the Classic and Prairie Hunter offers for slimmer forearm etc. is undone by lack of ability to add wrap around checkering. IMHO.
However, I do not remember any comprehensive comparisons to the bottoms and how they might ride a rest better.

Evlshnngns
05-02-2018, 03:05 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46164-Cabela-s-Savage-12FV-THREAD-FEST&p=421965&viewfull=1#post421965

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46164-Cabela-s-Savage-12FV-THREAD-FEST&p=425381&viewfull=1#post425381

I like the color contrast on the first link.

Hark1980
05-02-2018, 12:25 PM

This helps me a lot. Im a new owner of an Axis 270 win & have long known that I wanted a Boyd’s on it but wasn’t sure of the minor differences between the stocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Bottleneck Jimmy
05-02-2018, 03:15 PM
i think they have the same pic for several stocks on their page, i can't see any differences

and i looked for some kind of description but nothing bit me