PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12FV custom build: what to add

freediver111
04-30-2018, 03:26 PM
I decided to go with a more custom build on my 12FV 6.5 Creed. Biggest reason is the barrel. It shoots .5" groups at 100, but I have cold bore issues. Every time I hit the range with a cold/fouled bore, I'm about 2" left. Second shot brings it closer to center, then shots 3 and on are as I zeroed it. That simply isn't going to work on a hunting rifle where the first shot is meant to count.

I debated customizing it, or dumping it and buying a Tikka CTR 24" 6.5. I decided spending $1,100 on a new gun doesn't make sense since I already have a perfectly good action that cost me $320. I imagine that spending some money on the Savage would get me a better custom package for around the same price as a factory Tikka.

Spoke with a smith yesterday about it and he said it's very likely a barrel issue, so that's the start of the build. Decided to go for a Bartlein stainless barrel, 24" Benchmark #5 and stick with 6.5 Creed. He's going to install the barrel, plus cerakote the action and do a little work to it for $650.

He also makes custom stocks, so I'll get one for the gun as well.

I'm thinking about some other mods we can do to the gun. I need opinions on the cost vs performance increases I would gain by going with a new recoil lug and/or bolt lift kit....Worth the price to upgrade those, or not a big performance gain?

Any other upgrades/mods I should consider?

SageRat Shooter
04-30-2018, 04:06 PM
I went with the new precision recoil lug and slotted barrel nut when I ordered my aftermarket CBI. It's a 1/4 MOA rifle at 450 yards so far. Bolt lift kit is over rated in my opinion... I just put an over sized handle on mine, cycles easy enough that I don't even have to break my cheek weld now.

Texas10
04-30-2018, 07:49 PM
I think you're on the right track. Drop $26 for a tactical bolt handle from Savage, and a bolt lift kit from one of several suppliers. Or you can make one with a 38 cal case and a ball bearing. Takes about 10 minutes and works great. I lift my bolt handle with my extended index finger. That easy. Unless you're shooting Bench Rest competitively, a light bolt lift is a non issue. But that's no reason to not try to lighten yours, IMOP.

drybean
04-30-2018, 08:37 PM
A SSS comp trigger is a great addition

freediver111
04-30-2018, 08:42 PM
A SSS comp trigger is a great addition

They quit making them. I tried a Timney on this gun and didn’t like it. I don’t mind the accutrigger honestly. I have mine set for right around 1.5 lbs and breaks clean to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxx
04-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Anytime you remove a factory installed barrel, I believe it is worth the $30 for a trued heavy duty recoil lug. Can't hurt, might help.

drybean
04-30-2018, 10:33 PM
They quit making them. I tried a Timney on this gun and didn’t like it. I don’t mind the accutrigger honestly. I have mine set for right around 1.5 lbs and breaks clean to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tactical Works has them in stock, just bought 2

Swissfan
05-01-2018, 09:04 AM
I would also recommend the SSS Comp trigger.

243LPR
05-06-2018, 09:53 PM
I'm partial to the rifle basix sav 2.

Robinhood
05-06-2018, 10:14 PM
A bolt lift kit is always a good thing. I have always felt that shortening the BAS was a requirement. Or you can add a spacer to make up the added stack length.