PDA

View Full Version : The best Chronograph

Dennis
09-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't know if I am in the wright Forum . . .

But I would like to know what is the best Chronograph is for the money.

Thanks in advance for your help.

laportecharlie
09-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I think the best chronograph the average shooter will ever see is the Oehler 35P. They have been discontinued for several years but I recently heard that Oehler has or will reintroduce them. Other than the Oehler I really like the ProChrono Digital by Competition Electronics, Inc. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it gets the job done and its under $125.00.

Dennis
09-25-2010, 10:56 PM
The Oehler 35P might be a bit over my budget, I know it's a good one.

The ProChrono has been recommened by several!

Still Looking,

Thanks,

Dennis

Uncle Jack
09-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Only 5 more days....better hurry!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=852429

uj

dcloco
09-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I like the Pact XP. Printer inside the chrono (one less thing to pack, have spare batteries for, etc, etc) and can download all of the info to your computer. Stores a gigantic number of shots as well.

For $225, you get a printer, ability to download the data, and infared ....does not get much better than that.

GaCop
09-26-2010, 05:41 AM
After my PACT PC2 crapped out after 14 years, I bought a Beta Chrony and am quite happy with its performance. It cost $125 and is capable of downloading data to your computer.

DGD6MM
09-26-2010, 08:18 AM
My Pro-Chrono served me well, untill it flipped over and hit the ground. I sent it back to have it fix, never did work right again. I threw it away and at present don't own one. I'd buy another because of the price alone.

Moosetracker
09-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I have a CED Millenium II with the infra-red option. Very reliable and accurate, as far as I can tell.

stevec
09-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I have this one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=306796

I have checked it back to back with the Pro Chrony and a Millenium and it reads just as consistantly. When light conditions get low, it will do some stange things but no worse than the others. The pro chrony is eisier to set up but I like the remote screen on mine. I also got the ballistic printer with mine.

Steve

wapaloose
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
I still use my Oehler 33 i bought in 1981.

Luckus
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
I bought a Pro-Chrono this summer and have been using it a bunch. I bought the remote with it and am very satisfied. Has some usefull features and is easy to use. Was recommnded by some guys on the Campfire, and they were right.

EFBell
09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Millenium is a very good choice. Was for me anyway.

Warthog
09-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I've had two Shooting Chrony F1's, which I believe were the cheapest I could find. Then i got a Competition Electronics ProChrono, which is a few dollars more. I haven't tried them side by side, but I got the impression I needed to get the bullet pretty well centered both front and back to get a reading on the F1. Quite often I would miss a reading, so I tried very hard to aim right over the sensors.

The F-1 is also not bullet proof. I shot my first one with my .357. It didn't respond well to it, the bullet took out the second sensor, a little to the left. I decided to get a second F-1 and then I could use the first F-1 for spare parts......I shot it in exactly the same place!!! At least it was a good shot group. Of course, I'm the only one who ever shot my chrony. If you get one use bamboo barbecue scewer. They shatter when hit, and don't break the chrony like the metal rods.

After I shot my F1's, I got the ProChrono, which I recommend. I now shoot near the screens, and it always gets the reading. It is light, so get a heavy tripod which will not fall over in a wind.

Warthog

Tnslim
09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Walmart.com has chronys at a decent price along with free shipping to nearest store. The only drawback is the ones they listed didn't have the remote monitor and to me that would be a dealbreaker. A chrony with remote will be my next purchase.

viper9696
09-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph