PDA

View Full Version : Over sized bolt baffle... FAT coating to take out some wiggle

Evlshnngns
04-20-2018, 03:34 PM
I want to tighten up some slop. How about chrome plating the baffle, gain 2-4 thousandths everywhere? What else will add 2 thou. with wear resistance? With some wiggle remaining, how would this be a bad thing?

J.Baker
04-20-2018, 06:53 PM
You do realize that the slop is actually engineered into the bolt assembly to allow the floating bolt head to work properly, right?

tobnpr
04-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't be a "bad" thing, but unless there's a timing issue, what would be the purpose?
Unlike a single-piece bolt body/head aka an M700, bolt slop/sear lift doesn't affect bolthead alignment since it's a completely separate, "floating" part. While it'll make for a smoother running bolt, I would not expect an increase in accuracy.

If you've got .004 -.006 clearance now, and want .002, consider getting Cerakote done,- depending on total thickness desired to be added, coat the bolt or receiver raceway only- or both.

Cerakote Elite has the same coefficient of friction as Teflon....

Otherwise, you'd need to check front and rear of the bolt raceway with gauge pins (the ends will almost never be the same), and get a custom bolt body from PTG sized appropriately (usually two thou under the smallest dimension is as tight as you'd want to try).

Evlshnngns
04-20-2018, 09:14 PM
You do realize that the slop is actually engineered into the bolt assembly to allow the floating bolt head to work properly, right?

Yes. One of mine is "over engineered" like a hot dog down a hallway. Ha ha

Tobnpr. The ptg bolt body is what started this question.

Something to ponder on. Thanks for the input.

Nor Cal Mikie
04-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!! You want tighter? Think Remington.;) But then, you wouldn't be here.