PDA

View Full Version : Switch Barrel rifle and reloading

VA Ridgerunner
09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm getting ready to change a barrel on a 270 that I've had for about 20 years. The old barrel just doesn't shoot as well as I think it should (2MOA) with any load I've tried. I have a new 270 barrel that I'm confident will shoot the way I want.

My daughter is about ready to start shooting something beyond her .22. Since I already have an extra barrel, an extra stock, and everything to load a 270, I was thinking of chopping off the old barrel to about 18", trimming up an old stock to better proportions for her, and loading some light 270 loads. I figure on switching the barrrels for her/me. I have a few questions about making this into a switch barrel rifle.

First, when you switch barrels is there ever an issue with fitting the action back into a tightly pillar-bedded stock. I'm guessing that there won't really be any issues, but thought I'd ask someone with experience.

Second, if I develop a load for one barrel that is relatively close to the lands, would I have issues when i switch back to that barrel? I'm guessing that I'll have to stay off the lands a way's to avoid any pressure issues.

I appreciate any thoughts from someone with experience. I know the best approach is to buy another rifle, but I'd rather hold off until I know she'll actually shoot the rifle. Thanks for your help.

VA Ridgerunner
09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I figured at least a few folks were using multiple barrels on one action. Does anyone have any experience with switch barrel rifles? Should I be thinking about getting another rifle instead of using one action?

Thanks.

tiny68
09-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Ridgerunner, The switch barrel is Savage's claim to fame. I own 3 small shank actions (all long actions like your 270) and 2 target actions. I have about a dozen barrels. Not only can you swap between barrels with a given boltface, you can swap the bolt heads to make it a 223 if you choose. I converted a long action (270 originally) into a 223 as starter gun for my 8 yr old deer hunt (small whitetails). Used it as a single shot with a follower. I swap barrels at the range know. You need a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench, and a go-gauge and your set.

To address your specific questions -

"First, when you switch barrels is there ever an issue with fitting the action back into a tightly pillar-bedded stock. I'm guessing that there won't really be any issues, but thought I'd ask someone with experience." ---- unless you are bedding the barrel and/or the barrel nut the different barrel has not impact on the bedding or placement in the stock.

"Second, if I develop a load for one barrel that is relatively close to the lands, would I have issues when i switch back to that barrel? I'm guessing that I'll have to stay off the lands a way's to avoid any pressure issues." ---- You can swap barrels on and off and get the headspace to reproduce with 0.001" pretty easily. Set the headspace to the point you want with the nut tightened down and add a small "witness mark" (small line straight scribed into action and barrel)to ensure the barrel is screwed in exactly the same amount each time. I never have an issue with having to re-tune the load. In fact, I record the changes in the clicks on the scopes when swapping between barrels and I usually can be within 2-3" or better at 100 yds. I use a rear entry action wrench so I don't even pull my scopes when swapping barrels.

Hodgdon has some great data for youth/reduced loads on their website. My 11 yr old is shooting a 308 with reduced loads using 125 Nosler hunting BT this year. I could probably pick up a 243 sporter take off barrel for $40-60 bucks. Uses the same boltface. I like the thought of kids using single shots.

Hope this helps, Tim

VA Ridgerunner
09-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Thanks a bunch Tiny.

Your experience is very helpful. I'm a little surprised, but pretty happy, that you can reinstall barrels to such a tight tolerance.

Time to get busy - I'd like to get the rifle together for my daughter to start practicing for hunting next year. I shot my first deer with that rifle over 20 years ago and I'm glad i can still keep it for myself, but also help her carry on the tradition with the same rifle until I know she'll stick with it. I thought about a 243 as you mentioned and gave even more thought to a 260. However, I already have the dies to load down the 270 and I like the thought of a little bigger bullet impacting the target.

Good luck to you and your 11-year old. It is easy to get excited about rifles, loads, etc, but the really important thing is to just get out and have fun with the kids!

Kawabuggy
09-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Ridgerunner, if I'm following correctly what you are wanting to do in regards to changing between 2 different 270 barrels-I'd like to mention that UNLESS those two barrels are cut exactly the same (same reamer to the same depth) then it is unlikely that seating your reloads close to the lands for one barrel will match the other..

What I am saying is that the distance to the lands between the barrels is not just likely to be different, you can almost guarantee it. If you seat the bullet long to be close to the lands in one barrel, when that round is seated into the other barrel it may either be touching the lands-or imbedded into the lands-or it may fall short quite a distance. Just because you set the head-space up to be the same when switching between the 2 barrels DOES NOT MEAN that the point where the rifling starts will be the same. Just be sure to measure the distance to the lands on both barrels, and then if you desire to seat close to the lands, you may have to record the measurements, with each different type of bullet, for each barrel separately and then load accordingly.

An 18" barrel on a 270-even with light loads-I think will produce quite a bit of muzzle flash. Look at the reduced loads using Trail Boss and see if you can come up with something along those lines that will work for her.

VA Ridgerunner
09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Kawabuggy, thanks for your thoughts.

I'd seat the reduced loads well short of the lands since I'm not too concerned about wringing out accuracy from that load. I was mostly considering a load developed for a specific barrel and whether the distance to the lands would be dramatically difference when changing back to that same barrel.

I also appreciate your recommendation of Trail Boss since I also suspect that muzzleflash will be bad with a shorter barrel. I'm not sure it will develop enough energy to hunt with though.

Con
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd seat the reduced loads well short of the lands since I'm not too concerned about wringing out accuracy from that load. I was mostly considering a load developed for a specific barrel and whether the distance to the lands would be dramatically difference when changing back to that same barrel.

If you consider you may be 20 thou of the lands in your reloads ... where the difference between a Go and NoGo Guage may be 5 thou ... you seem to have 15 thou 'built in' margin for error.
Cheers...
Con