PDA

View Full Version : Lots of post-release trigger play. Axis XP II in MDT LSS stock

littlejackal
04-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Hi guys. I'm a new Axis owner and I've slotted the action into an MDT LSS chassis. I have no problems with the fit, but I found that after I release the trigger I have an enormous amount of play in the trigger group until I re-cock. I can squeeze on the trigger and force the safety to rock up and down. Everything is snugged down so I don't suspect any loose attaching points.

I disassembled the rifle to see if I could determine what the problem was, and my suspicion is that since the trigger group is sort of free floating on a single pin, the LSS stock isn't exerting enough (or any?) pressure on the front of the trigger group, leaving the whole thing to just sort of waggle around the pin which holds it in place.

Do you suppose shimming the front of the trigger group where the body lug attaches with a thin spacer or two would be the right way to solve this, or would this introduce some unforeseen problems?

Bottleneck Jimmy
04-19-2018, 05:04 PM
does the factory stock support the trigger in the area you're looking at?

have you contacted DMT? i'm curious what the deal is because i'm looking at the LSS chassis too

what cal / chamber & mag did you go with?

Robinhood
04-19-2018, 08:18 PM
I would contact MDT. You may be on to something or missing a part, i'm not certain.

Bad Bob
04-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but what does it matter?? If all is right with the setup, BEFORE you pull the trigger, why worry about some slack AFTER the bullet is downrange??

Bottleneck Jimmy
04-20-2018, 03:47 PM
just doesn't sound like solid engineering / design, how do you know the trigger will be in a favorable position during the bolt operation / cocking process?

after re-reading and thinking about it i have a feeling littlejackal is talking about the side to side slop that the MCARBO washers correct?

fresh out of the box standard Axis here doesn't display any different side to side of the trigger cocked or after firing (decocked)

and i just took the action out of the stock no difference, but this is a standard non-accutrigger, could make a difference?

sharpshooter
04-20-2018, 11:51 PM
The trigger assembly is meant to be drawn tight to the receiver when in the stock. That stock is not inletted correct. What does it matter? It matters a lot. 1. The trigger pull will not be the same, 2. The firing pin fall will be short.
You need to do some measuring and use a shim.

littlejackal
06-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Phew, I completely forgot I started this thread and didn't mean to abandon without info. I haven't had any time to play with the Axis but I'll post a quick video of the post-release play this weekend. I haven't contacted MDT yet but I likely will this week now that I have some free time again. A shim is probably the answer, and the conclusion I came to, but I'm glad to hear someone else headcheck my thinking.

For reference, I ended up going with 308. Unfortunately I didn't get the heavy barrel so the Axis looks pretty funky tapering out on an LSS stock. Not enough to where it's bothering me, but I suspect I'll get annoyed enough to do a barrel swap one of these days.

edit: Actually, have some old video saved:

https://i.imgur.com/KV1cfCQ.gifv

This is post-release. To be crystal clear, pre-release there is zero play and behaves as I believe it should.