PDA

View Full Version : Very early savage trigger swap

dillwt
04-11-2018, 07:10 AM
First Post at this site, has been a greats source of information so far. I am converting a 1966 era 110 in 7mm Mag to 458 Win Mag. The current trigger is horrific. I was wondering if you can change the trigger out to the newer fully adjustable ones without machining or drilling.

Thanks in advance.

Not looking to change to accutrigger.

olddav
04-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Do you currently have a three screw trigger? If so then you do have some easy options.
Either a Rifle Basix or Timney, both can be adjusted down to 1.5# (I think).

(link is for ID purposes)
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

LHitchcox
04-11-2018, 10:48 AM
If you have the first gen trigger, it cannot be replaced without milling the receiver. here is the link.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?129-Early-Savage-110-Trigger-Adjustment

If the trigger looks like the one in the previous post, changing the L shaped wire and adjusting the screw under the sear notch can give a great trigger for the price of a $1.00 buzz bait. The buzz bait is the wire donor.

dillwt
04-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the help. This one is the very early one shown in oldday's post. Since it needs milling I may have to look at making the trigger better vice replacing. Love the smoothness of the bolt but the trigger feels like its about 8 lbs.

dillwt
04-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Sorry, I meant LHitchcox's post. It is a very early rifle

LHitchcox
04-12-2018, 10:02 AM
A local smith can still tune the early trigger to be very satisfactory. I have one and it is about 3.5 pounds, but is so clean that it feels lighter. My smith charged $35 for the work, but that was quite a few years ago. BTW, check the screw that is in the front of the trigger body. It determines the depth of the sear engagement. Turned all the way in makes a useable trigger for most of the early 110s.

mnbogboy2
04-12-2018, 10:54 PM
A local smith can still tune the early trigger to be very satisfactory. I have one and it is about 3.5 pounds, but is so clean that it feels lighter. My smith charged $35 for the work, but that was quite a few years ago. BTW, check the screw that is in the front of the trigger body. It determines the depth of the sear engagement. Turned all the way in makes a useable trigger for most of the early 110s.
+1
Did replace one of these "old" triggers with a Timney once. Can't remember any milling (maybe some slight file work or dremel work) but did have to use the safety parts from the next generation of parts. Also the bolt release on the "modern" sear had to be heated and bent slightly to clear the action ("ahh" thats where the milling of the action comes to play!). Good memory just short. The bending of the sear was the farmer's milling;).
Although my opinion is that you can adjust the "old" trigger down almost or equal to that of the Timney or RB-sav1.
Good luck,
Randy

mnbogboy2
04-12-2018, 11:15 PM
After 15 minutes of waiting for the pictures in olddav's link to open, I see my folly. The trigger in question is the savage "new" 3 screw.
Sorry my mistake. Yes, you can direct replace this with aftermarket. And yes as the others said it is a pretty decent trigger adjusted correctly and with spring replacement. These can normally be easy to get down to 3 lbs or a little less.
My bad and good luck,
Randy

mnbogboy2
04-12-2018, 11:20 PM
Getting too old for speed reading....forget my last post and go back to the one before....:redface-new:...
Sorry for the confusion,
Randy

dillwt
04-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Thanks gents, looks like I need to do some work or a trip to the Gunsmith.