PDA

View Full Version : Receiver threads drilled crooked

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

celltech
07-10-2018, 01:33 PM
I keep debating on calling them... But all this discussion made me order a cheap 3 wire set and get a copy of the Machinery Handbook, really good stuff!

Robinhood
07-10-2018, 11:18 PM
I keep debating on calling them... But all this discussion made me order a cheap 3 wire set and get a copy of the Machinery Handbook, really good stuff!

A good way to expand your understanding of how machinist look at the world.

celltech
07-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Sent them an e-mail this morning and just got this response back: "We have a new go/no go gauge coming and a new pitch mic on order. We hope to have a final analysis next week sometime and I will know more then."

Only Savage barrels got the bad mic? :p

sharpshooter
07-11-2018, 07:49 PM
I think you misunderstood what they are saying. To me it means they never had these tools to start with.

celltech
07-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Got my cheap 3 wire set from ebay...kinda hard to use with the cheap digital calipers but the pitch diameter seems to come in around 1.027 or so on the OEM barrel. So within the Class 2B spec as well. Damn I wish I had been able to measure the x-cal one...grrr. Now I need to go buy a nice mic. This is gonna be an expensive barrel before it's all said and done.

Robinhood
07-12-2018, 08:09 PM
You really need a 1-2" micrometer.

Robinhood
07-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Use grease to hold them in place.

Robinhood
07-12-2018, 08:34 PM
If you look at the chart for the 2A and 2B tolerances you can have as little as .0018 to as much as .0118 clearance in the male and female threads. This is way to much space on the max clearance. That .0118 is probably what the OP has with his loose fitting barrel right now. To me a .003 clearance would be good.

celltech
07-13-2018, 08:56 AM
If I am reading the chart right even at a Class 3A the clearance could be as high as .0078. And my measured OEM PD falls in both 2A/3A territory....so I don't know what class Savage uses. But I can sure tell you x-cal was not following either of them.

gbflyer
07-13-2018, 10:22 AM
I tend to thread them to a loose fit. First, because galling a thread is not a good time. I once cut some muzzle threads too tight. My test piece threaded on perfectly until I de-greased it. Threaded on but would not come off. I got to cut it off and start over🤬. Barrel steel, especially stainless, is pretty soft.

I have one 7-08 barrel for my Borden that I made a mistake on threading, it’s very sloppy. It’s ended up being one of the best shooters I own, I’m glad I didn’t cut off the tenon before I tested it. No barrel nut though, I can certainly see where loose nut and loose into the receiver would lead to the OP’s issue.

I still haven’t checked my factory X-Cal. It’s been 14 hour days. Gotta love being self employed[emoji41]

Robinhood
07-13-2018, 09:14 PM
How loose is loose GB?

gbflyer
07-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Looser than I’d like[emoji6]. Actually, I’m scared to check it with a 3 wire. Even after a couple of hundred rounds my OCD might kick in and cause me to do something rash[emoji1].

Robinhood
07-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Ha..lol

celltech
07-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Even with my floppy fish fit I was shooting 1/2" groups right off the bat. Witness the power of the Savage floating bolt head! I just want my 6.4 mils of scope adjustment back...

Robinhood
07-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Exposing the difference between accuracy and precision one messed up action/barrel junction at a time.

celltech
07-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Latest update is they are still waiting for the thread mic to arrive and should be here this week. Maybe try Amazon Prime next time...

I also got my outside mic set in and with the 3 wire setup I am getting 1.0293". That would put it in 3A territory. Can anyone comment for sure on what class the fit is supposed to be?

JeepsAndGuns
07-24-2018, 12:24 PM
I emailed them last night for a update as I had not heard anything since I sent the barrel back. He said they had a employee drop their go gauge and they had to send it out to be re calibrated.
Not sure what type of go gauge he is talking about though.

sharpshooter
07-24-2018, 01:32 PM
According to factory prints it should be 3A, with a pitch diameter of 1.033" -1.036" for a standard shank, and 1.089" - 1.091" for a large shank.

celltech
08-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Update time.... X-Cal just called and they got their new pitch mic in and what do ya know, the barrel threads were off! They started looking at their machinery and something was "wrong, loose, worn". The customer service guy was talking several possible things, but I don't think he has a clue. I didn't try and ask about the supposed go/no-go gauge he referred to previously. He did claim they know of 3 barrels that were made wrong. So bottom line is I am getting a new one expedited out and I hope they learned a quality control lesson here.

JeepsAndGuns
08-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Update time.... X-Cal just called and they got their new pitch mic in and what do ya know, the barrel threads were off! They started looking at their machinery and something was "wrong, loose, worn". The customer service guy was talking several possible things, but I don't think he has a clue. I didn't try and ask about the supposed go/no-go gauge he referred to previously. He did claim they know of 3 barrels that were made wrong. So bottom line is I am getting a new one expedited out and I hope they learned a quality control lesson here.

Came to post the same thing. They called me and we had pretty much the exact same conversation.
The nitrating will take a few extra weeks, so I will update when I get the new barrel.