PDA

View Full Version : Mod 12 LRP barrel problem

ezmobile
04-04-2018, 04:35 AM
Hi all. just looking for a bit of advice here. I have recently bought a Mod 12 LRP (6.5CM) but not had the chance to use it yet as I'm waiting on a scope. I discovered yesterday that the supposedly free floating barrel is in contact with the very end of the forend of the stock, which no doubt will affect accuracy.
There is not a lot of pressure between the barrel & stock but, "touching is touching".
Would it be possible to place a Shim between the stock & the actions front screw in order to slightly separate them, lifting the barrel off the stock by a small amount and effectively "floating it"?
If anyone has a better idea, then I'm all ears.

Cheers

Texas10
04-04-2018, 07:45 AM
I would call Savage Customer Service and return it to have it fixed, since you're waiting on scope anyway.

GaCop
04-04-2018, 08:28 AM
You could easily float that barrel channel yourself with sand paper and an appropriately sized deep socket.

Bowguy
04-04-2018, 07:05 PM
If you want to float the barrel, adding a shim would not be the best method. Sanding this area would be best. Adding a shim could possibly effect the recoil lug contact.

SageRat Shooter
04-04-2018, 08:10 PM
a 5/8" wood dowel, sand paper, and a little elbow grease will also work.

Robinhood
04-04-2018, 11:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/20EVOLUTION01/Funny%20Pics/4794-19-pointlesswithoutpics.jpg?hotlinkfix=1522898107400

ezmobile
04-05-2018, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the advice Robinhood, perhaps I didn't explain the problem too well (although, others seem to have got it easy enough). It's simple really, the underside of the barrel is in contact with the forend of the stock....Can't think of an easier way to explain it. Hang on, let me get my hat!

celltech
04-05-2018, 08:29 AM
That is a $1000 gun in a "precision" stock...it should not be touching. I personally would not sand anything down...

tobnpr
04-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Certainly you can send it back to Savage.
They're going to do the same thing, relieve the barrel channel where needed, refinish it, and send it back to you- likely weeks if not months later.
Simple fix as mentioned, especially if it's what you say.

Does a business card slide easily between the barrel and stock behind the end where you notice contact, all the way to the receiver?

If it's really minimal, a wood dowel wrapped with sandpaper to the diameter needed will take care of it quickly. However- if the contact is heavier than you suspect, when you relieve the end of the barrel channel and allow the barrel to drop you may find that it will make contact further back. Either way, it's not a big deal to fix yourself, it's just a matter of whether you want to be "rifle-less" while Savage deals with it.

ezmobile
04-06-2018, 04:42 AM
Hi tobnpr. The contact is pretty minimal. Putting a slip of paper between the barrel & the stocks barrel channel, starting up next to the receiver / action, the paper slides easily and with plenty of clearance all the way down the barrel, until about 1 inch before the barrel clears the stocks forend. There is obviously a taper going on between the barrel and the barrel channel, instead of the usual parallel spacing. I think that in the end I should perhaps just buy a high quality chassis system for it, at least that way I'll be able to fit a decent 10 round mag to it

Zero333
04-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Don't the LRP's come with a HS Precision stock ??? Just sand it and rattle can paint the whole stock to your desired effect. Easy, cheap and.... easy.

If you really want to swap the stock for a chassis, I think Cadex are the best chassis if you don't mind spending more than usual. Or MDT is very good for the money. I have 2 MDT chassis,... HS3 and LSS. I do not like the MDT skeleton CARBINE butt stock. My cheek doesn't feel right on it.

Robinhood
04-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Anda 1
the supposedly free floating barrel is in contact with the very end of the forend of the stock, which no doubt will affect accuracy.
There is not a lot of pressure between the barrel & stock but, "touching is touching".

Anda 2

the underside of the barrel is in contact with the forend of the stock....Can't think of an easier way to explain it. Hang on, let me get my hat!

I think you found a better way! It may come as a surprise but stocks can touch on the sides as well. I would approach the two scenarios differently. You have some good advice already, the one thing I would look for is to make sure the rear of the action is seated. Holding up the rear of the action a small amount would cause it to touch where you describe. Good luck.

rob67gmc
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Shoot it first and see how it shoots. Some rifles like a little pressure from the fore end. I have a .270 that shot great but the fore end was touching the barrel. I sanded it down and it went to crap. Built the area back up with JB Weld, a little higher than it was, then sanded and tested until the groups fell back into place.