PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaning

tb80
04-01-2018, 12:44 AM
I have been using a basic gun cleaning package with cotton patches and hoppes no 9. I feel it has worked decently but I read about people using copper brushes, foam and all this other stuff. Does anyone have a good guide for how to clean a gun with links?

Also, can a copper brush hurt the rifling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yankeedog
04-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Lots of people over do their regiment of gun cleaning.
Every bullet down the barrel will be different unless you clean after each one.
My buddy bought a rem700 the other day that looked like it was dragged thru the river mud, it shot a ragged hole of three.
He thought "Wow this gun will really shot great after cleaning", he cleaned it for hours and made it look brand new and it shot groups of 3 inch at 100yrds! I laughed and he traded the gun in the next day, lost his azz!!!!

MS50
04-01-2018, 10:31 AM
This is my experience with cleaning. This applies to both carbon steel factory Savage barrels and aftermarket stainless steel barrels. Eventually, there will be enough carbon fouling to cause accuracy to fall off. My experience is that it is sudden and notable. No amount of wet patches have done the job for me. Nylon brushes have not done the job. Only wet bronze brushes have removed enough carbon fouling to bring the accuracy back to where I want it. Bronze brushes are softer than stainless so they shouldn't harm the barrel. I do rinse and dry them with alcohol after using them to reduce carry over of debris to the next cleaning. Don't know if this is necessary. Soak time after wet patching has helped me with getting my barrels clean. There are many opinions out there.

TXRoadlizard
04-01-2018, 02:42 PM
I used to be really intent on vigously cleaning after every use of a rifle. The good old US Army beat that into my head. Now I typically run a dry bore snake through and light coat of oil on end of bore snake and I'm ready for next time. My accuracy has improved and groups have tightened. I read several accounts of excellent marksmen who routinely shoot thousands of rounds without anything but what I described, if even that...

Stumpkiller
04-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Annually I give a good cleaning with J-B Paste. Doesn't remove barrel metal but it does pull out a lot of copper and carbon fouling. A good solvent like Shooters Choice for after shooting cleaning.

Haiku_Rodney
04-02-2018, 02:33 PM
I use Frog Lube paste. I use a bronze brush to coat the barrel, leave for a few hours then run a patch soaked with Hoppe's 9. When the patches come out without any powder fouling, I will run a patch coated with Frog Lube through the bore, leave overnight and run a patch soaked with Hoppe's 9. I repeat until there is not sign of powder or copper. Before hunting I run a dry bore snake through the bore a few times. It's a pain, but, it keeps my accuracy consistent.

want2ride
04-03-2018, 09:20 AM
I shoot the gun all season, if the accuracy maintains, I run a oil patch through before winter storage. When the accuracy falls off then I give it a thorough cleaning. I do clean the trigger mechanism pretty often on my target rifle and at least once a year on my hunting rifles. That accutrigger will trip more often if you don't keep it clean.