PDA

View Full Version : New member/ New build

Fencehunter
03-31-2018, 11:43 PM
Hello all!
New member here from Montana, Long time savage shooter. My first rifle was a 110 in 30-06, I purchased it in 2000 and it has taken countless deer, elk, and lopes. Recently My 16 daughter and I have got in to long range shooting. Although We have several other brand rifles that we have shot up to 1 mile with, my loyalty has always been with savage. Recently I came across a used Model 110 chambered in 7rm, with the accutrigger, side bolt release, for 200 bucks. I purchased it and am getting ready to put together a long range hunting savage build. Here is what I am planning on

Action- stock savage 110
Trigger- for now I will retain the accutrigger as it seems pretty good to me, I can shoot 3/4" groups with handloaded 168 vld's as it is.
Barrel- McGowan 26" savage magnum contour chambered in 28 nosler 11 degree crown
Stock- Bell and Carlson 2980 sporter
Warne mountain tech rings and 20 moa base
leupold vx3i lrp 6.5x20

I plan on pushing the 195 gr bergers. I am a handloader.

I have a couple questions as I am getting ready to order everything.

I know I will need a new barrel nut and a set of go and no go gauges
Should I order a new recoil lug and if so what thickness?
I assume I will have to open up the stock to fit the magnum contour, has anyone ever done this by hand? what type of tool can I use? I am a pretty talented guy and have experience with Cnc machines, My thoughts were remove a little at a time until I have good clearance from the barrel.
Are the 28 nosler cases going to fit in the stock savage blind mag, or am I going to have to modify it? is it going to hold 3 still or only 2?
Do I need a new bolt head?

Any suggestions? concerns?

This will be my first savage build and I plan to put it together myself, Again the purpose of this rifle is to have long range hunting capabilities for western mountain hunting. Thanks in advance.

JW
04-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Welcome to the forum!
"I assume I will have to open up the stock to fit the magnum contour, has anyone ever done this by hand? what type of tool can I use? I am a pretty talented guy and have experience with Cnc machines, My thoughts were remove a little at a time until I have good clearance from the barrel.
Are the 28 nosler cases going to fit in the stock savage blind mag, or am I going to have to modify it? is it going to hold 3 still or only 2?"

I use a 1" dowell and wrap sandpaper arround it to open the barrel channel
Not sure about the 28 nosler but the stagger feed 26 nosler I put together would only hold 2 rounds in the blind mag
Sorry, I can't help with your other questions, someone will chime in

Robinhood
04-01-2018, 11:26 AM
The aftermarket Recoil lug is thicker than stock so no need to get the extra thick. The standard ground lug with a pin is good enough. Some are long and don't fit some stocks too well. Nothing you cant fix. I recommend having the action face trued. This is a no brainer, if you are a machinist and you observe the mating surfaces... The best option is SSS T&T job. Even if you have to do the build and tear i down later when Lisa calls. If you can find a SSS trigger or get a SAV2 you will be even more satisfied. Top it with a proven clear scope and quality mounting hardware you will give little up to any other custom on your long range hunt.

Edited on Bolt Head info

Consider a brake.

psharon97
04-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Any particular reason why you want to use the 28 nosler instead of the 7mm practical (7mm-300win mag)?

Fencehunter
04-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies, as far as the 7-300, The biggest thing would be brass, Not that 28 nosler brass is exactly easy to find, I have almost considered going with the 7 rum instead of the 28 nosler for the same reason. I have considered the brake, still up in the air on that.

Zero333
04-02-2018, 11:21 PM
28 Nosler is the best choice in my opinion because of the magazine length.

Sometimes belted cases can cause issues when reloading, but I've never had any problems.

Bolt face is the same as a 7mm Remmag so no problem there.

A dowel (like mentioned) or a deep socket wrapped in sand paper has always worked good for me opening up barrel channels.

MTHunt
04-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Hello I haven’t posted much here but have worked on many savages and am also from Montana so I figured I would say hey and possibly help if I can.
I built a 28 nosler recently on a savage 116 side bolt release.. I have put varmint barrels in sporter stocks so you can open them up pretty easy especially the Bell and Carlson’s. I have used lots of things to do it from deep well sockets wrapped in sand paper to wood dowels that are close to the barrel contour size wrapped in sand paper. They both work and most of the work is usually needed towards the front of the stock and it turned out really well.
A heavier recoil lug is always nice and I have used the heavier .250 lugs and never had problems with using them.
With the 28 nosler case you will only get 2 in the mag but they will have to be not more than 3.5ish loaded length unless you notch the front of the mag box. Even then it is gonna be tight with the 195s seated pretty deep in the case. I went with DBM bottom metal on mine and can load to 3.7 something with it using 300 win or 338 lapua aics mags.
Standard mag bolt face will work just fine.

Hope I helped and sounds like it will be a fun build. The 28 nosler is a hammer I hit over 1200yds with mine couple weeks ago when it was nice out and that was without a scope with target turrets, had to count 105 clicks from 100 yard zero. Lol now it has a better scope so will be much easier.