PDA

View Full Version : New 110 rifle, which is better all-around

Steve Cox
03-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

After a bit of discussion in another thread regarding bolt extractor life, I've decided to go on and ask an opinion question here. I'm looking to purchase a new all-around target/hunting and possible moderate long-range rifle, most likely based on .308 since that's what I currently use, and it's much more economical than .300 win mag. Living in Missouri I doubt I'll ever see any shot further than 5-600 yards at a range, and likely only around 100-300 for hunting depending on the field. I'm reasonably healthy so weight is not an issue.

I've pretty much ruled out the 110BA Stealth series as I don't see the stock being very accommodating for hunting, but still willing to consider it. That leaves the 110 Storm and 110 Tactical (both with Accustock and Accufit). Whatever I choose would be left-handed this time. Between these three, which would you all see as the better all-around rifle, especially between the Storm and Tactical?

Lastly, considering I currently have a 16 Trophy Hunter XP (although right-handed) with aftermarket Hogue stock and added cheek rest, would I realize any benefit with the Storm or Tactical, beyond being left-handed? Would I be far better by saving my money and putting it toward just upgrading the Nikon BDC scope on my Trophy Hunter to a Vortex or such?

Thanks.
Steve

Mthomas90
03-30-2018, 09:47 PM
A better scope is deffintly worth a consideration. I don't regret buy what I consider "expensive" scopes.
I'd also look past the vortex, just my opinion as I don't like to be a fan boy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Apollo117
03-31-2018, 09:57 AM
When you say all around, what do you mean? What purpose are you looking to fill with the gun? My recommendation changes based on the purpose of the gun. A gun for elk hunting is different than a brush gun for hogs, whitetail, etc. Are you looking to punch paper for long periods at the range?

hafejd30
03-31-2018, 11:15 AM
If you anticipate a possible shot of 5-600 yards then I'd upgrade to one of the mentioned rifles.

First, the pencil barrels like the 16 tend to warp within a few rounds and start drifting the POI. The heavier barrel is more forgiving. For hunting it won't be an issue but for practice at 5-600 yds you will want something that hold zero longer. And yes I've seen several, including a 116 with accustock drift in about 3 rounds.

For 100-300 your current setup should suffice. But if your serious about mid range shooting, especially hunting then invest in a setup better designed for that application. Most "tactical" heavy barreled savages will easily shoot .5-.75 moa with good ammo. Most of the sporter barreled models with tend to struggle to get to that. Top that off with Kentucky windage and holdover on a duplex reticle and your accuracy will reflect.

You could make decent upgrades to your current gun to help but most likely will cost more in the end.

For short distance shooting without much practice stick with what you have. For long shoootng strings or ethical kill shots at mid range then make the upgrades. Just my $.02

hafejd30
03-31-2018, 11:20 AM
Also check a few things on your hogue stock.

Make sure the rear rear tang is floated
make sure the forearm doesn't flex against the barrel with just the gun resting on something like a bipod etc

Ive done the same thing your trying to do with similair setup. If it was me doing it again I'd sell the current setup you have, or keep for close stuff if you have a decent budget. Then invest that money in a better setup. One of the rifles you mentioned and topped with good optics. There are
some decent options that don't break the bank. Do your research. Is stay away from vortex. I owned 3 (HS and 2 PST) and 2 failed. The proper setup will pay off

Steve Cox
03-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I agree I need a better scope than the Nikon; it's good for hunting but target shooting it comes up a bit short.

This gun will likely be mostly used for target shooting, with the ability to take hunting, which will be Missouri deer, or possible future northern Arkansas/southern Missouri elk if or when that opens up. And if I do go this route, I am considering the possibility of replacing my current setup with the new rifle if I decide to get one, which is why I'd like to stay with .308, and why I'm kind of ruling out the BA Stealth. OTOH - there is a strong possibility I might decide to keep my Trophy Hunter for hunting and add an M1A Loaded to the stable for target shooting fun.

So far, from what I'm reading, if I decide to go this route it sounds like my best bolt action choice is going to be the Tactical, which is what I kind of suspected; just wasn't sure how well the Tactical would work as a hunting rifle.

Regarding scope choice, I see two votes against a Vortex, which I've always found and heard to be a decent "entry-level" quality scope. If you all don't like it, what would you recommend, staying in the $500 max range? I don't really need a long range sniper scope for 1000 yards or more, even though the Freedom Center range an hour or so up the road in Lebanon is a 1000 yard range.

hafejd30
03-31-2018, 01:29 PM
I run Burris and Sightron mainly. Fullfield 2/E1 Burris for hunting and AR setups and Sightron SIII for LR. There's sometimes some decent used scopes in the classifieds. I would start a thread with a title for what you want. Most of the scopes in that price range have been used by one member or another here

Whynot
03-31-2018, 01:49 PM
I've never had any problem with my Vortex scopes.... but I have had with my Burris scopes. That's the problem with asking advice on a forum... everyone has had a different experience with their scopes and you don't know who actually knows what they are talking about. Vortex has a great warranty... but I do know of quite a few people who have had to use it. On paper Burris has a great warranty... but from what I've seen they are reluctant to use it. I prefer Leupold scopes- you don't get a bunch of bells & whistles- but I have had zero problems with them and I don't get hung up on how many times zoom they have. But I'm sure someone else has had just the opposite experience.

want2ride
03-31-2018, 01:55 PM
If it is mainly for hunting out to 300 yards and occasionally longer range, I would look for something in the 3 or 4 magnification on the low end and 12-15 on the high end. I started shooting FFP scopes and it is hard to go back to a second. I picked up a NEW 3-15 Burris XTR2 g2b for $540 (an absolute steal) last summer, and it is the best combination of a hunting / range gun I have seen. Not wanting to spend that much again I just picked up an Athalon Argos 6-24 and Cabelas Covenant 4-14 FFP for my other rifles that do double duty.... since I have to have a FFP now. I will likely be switching out some of my (not so old) SFP scopes on hunting rifles that might still be an upgrade over what you have. Send me a PM if interested.

RustyShackle
03-31-2018, 06:28 PM
I’m a big fan of Leupold products. But if you can find a steal of a deal on another good quality piece of glass I wouldn’t hesitate either.

PhilC
03-31-2018, 06:43 PM
Lots of opinion on optics. I've been a Leupold user for years, but when I bought my 12FV I opted for the Vortex Viper HSLR 4 - 16 x44 and I have zero complaints. FWIW, I'd buy another.

bearcatrp
03-31-2018, 07:15 PM
For a 308, get this... Savage 10FCP-SR. My brother has this in left hand and its a tac driver. Fluted barrel to help with weight. Glass is a whole different ball game. Best to find a place who sells allot in stock to look at. I have a Burris XTR II 4-16-50 on my savage 338 FCP. Have a vortex on my savage 10T 308. Prefer the Burris. But thats a $900 scope. Bushnell has some good ones too. A SWFA SS in 10X for $299 works good too for your distance you will be shooting.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97911/Firearms/Rifles/Savage/Savage+Centerfire/Savage+10FCP-SR+308+24+10RD

Steve Cox
03-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Bearcat, is the 10FCP-SR an older version but the same as the newer 110 Tactical, except for the Accufit system on the newer Accustock? Everything else looks the same, and specs the same. Also, whether they're the same or not, are they using AICS mags?

bearcatrp
04-01-2018, 08:53 AM
I believe it is. Savage is changing over to their new chassis system on all rifles. Seems there are deals on the older versions. My brother in law just snagged a 111 in 300WM for $600 bucks, was the older chassis. On the box, said promotional. The seller told him he purchased these at a reduced cost. I would compare cost between both new and old and go with what best suits you.