PDA

View Full Version : 6mm benchrest headspace issue

malcombcat
03-28-2018, 02:05 PM
two years ago I purchased a Savage 6mm benchrest. Fired two factory Lapua 105 rounds while sighting in and then the third round jetted gas back at me through the back of the bolt. The case looked ok but the firing pin indent was very deep in the primer. I went ahead a fired a second Lapua round and this was a misfire and the primer was barely dented. After that I fired about 6 of my handloads (I have another 6mm rifle) with no issues, but I rarely load to maximum- Lapua brass and lower weight Bergers). This was late in the summer and as I don't do much shooting in the winter I set the gun aside to give it some thought-was not happy about it releasing gas, etc. Again this was a brand new gun. Last year I had some serious health problems and did not do any shooting. But am getting ready to get going again this year and bought a no go gauge in 6mm Br. This problem rifle's bolt closes just fine on the no go gauge; no difference in the feel between the empty chamber and when the gauge is in. this gauge does its job in my other 6mmBr (bolt won't close)> Sounds like a headspace issue; agree? I am planning to contact the gunsmiths I use and have them take a look. Guess could be a bolt issue, but what would this entail re the barrel? What might it cost? Depending on, where might I source another similar monster barrel? What might Savage offer at this stage given the gun is ~ 2.5 years old (but only has about 10 rounds fired)? Thanks very much for any suggestions, advice comments. I would not be a fan of fireforming brass as it vents gas. Thanks again

SageRat Shooter
03-28-2018, 02:21 PM
It does sound like a head spacing issue to me too. You could call savage and explain the scenario and that it has been sitting far longer than it has been in use. Warranty usually only lasts for a year I think, but you may get lucky if you contact Savage. It can't hurt to try that's for sure.

Texas10
03-29-2018, 08:27 AM
It's about a 15 minute job to set the headspace, so shouldn't cost much and at this late date, would probably be best accomplished by the GS you're familiar with. A go-gage would be helpful, but not essential as he could set the headspace to match your other 6mmBR by using your FF brass. JMHOP, others may disagree. YMMV, and remember, EPA gas milage estimates are purely for marketing purposes, and not to be taken literally. :nod:

malcombcat
03-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

243LPR
03-29-2018, 09:43 PM
The bolt should NOT close on the no go gauge. You need to have the barrel nut loosened and the barrel screwed in some more using a new case or go gauge to set proper headspace.