PDA

View Full Version : Ok newbie with a few Qs

crector
09-24-2010, 12:43 AM
hello ive been trolling this forum for quite some time and have finally decided to join! :)
I just purchased a brand new savage 10fcp-k in .308 and have a couple of Qs that might span 3 different
forum sections.
1. Does the accustock come set out of the box? Meaning do I personally have to set it to 40lbs-45lbs of torque
or is it fine from factory with no adjustments?
2. In looking for an optic i really like the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6x-24x, but i see alot of you guys swear by a Vortex. I want a scope to have a side parallax and zero stop with a mil recticle. Price range $800
Large turrents with nice tactical clicks @1/4 moa.
Sub Question 2: I would want this gun to be able to shoot to 1000yrds+ BUT, the longest range around me is 300yrds, I dont think a 1000yrd range exists in NYS. This will be for nothing but shooting paper. So is my scope choice right or wrong
3. I do not reload nor do I know a reloader(if i take that hobby up my wife, well lets just leave it at that)
I plan to shoot premium factory ammo and have read a few of your suggestions

Basically what im asking is for your input. And if you know of any long range shooters around Buffalo I'd love to get into matches and learn.
Thank you....C

Nefarioud
09-24-2010, 03:22 AM
3. I do not reload nor do I know a reloader(if i take that hobby up my wife, well lets just leave it at that)
I plan to shoot premium factory ammo and have read a few of your suggestions

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to consider a way to work your way into reloading. The cost benefit is fine and all but the true attraction is tailoring a load to the weapon. Inevitably you'll probably get "it". It being the desire to have as much influence on the success of each shot as you possibly can. Factory loads are great and in some circumstances they're the only way to go; but, save your brass. I'm guessing you got the FCP-K because you want to shoot precisely and factory ammunition can only take you so far. There is a lot to be said for trigger time and you can chuck a LOT more .308's at $.52/round than at $2.00 each for premium match stuff.

I have no experience with the optics you've mentioned. I'll offer this advice though: look not only at the initial cost but at the resale. I have several friends that have purchased scopes only to want for something up-market. When they tried to sell them they didn't do so well on resale. If you spend about twice what you mentioned, you probably won't want for better and if you decide to try a different hobby and sell your stuff you'll recover a significant portion of what you spent. I have one friend who decided shooting wasn't for him and sold his Nightforce for $100 less than it cost him. This may not always be the case; but' it's something to consider. (at least it works with my wife :) )