PDA

View Full Version : boyds with adjustable comb

ohihunter2014
03-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Anyone use a boyds with adjustable comb? I think i'm set on a classic style for my axis 223 HB but would like an adjustable comb.

Does anyone here own the classic for a bench/woodchuck rifle? I cant seem to warm up to the pro varmint or thumbholes for some reason.

SageRat Shooter
03-22-2018, 01:42 PM
I cant seem to warm up to the pro varmint or thumbholes for some reason.

Any particular reason you don't like the Pro Varmint??? It's designed for the exact purpose you have in mind...

ohihunter2014
03-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Any particular reason you don't like the Pro Varmint??? It's designed for the exact purpose you have in mind...

I handled the stock or one similar on a savage 338lapua at a cabelas and the palm is just too large for me and the vertical grip is a little awkward. I guess im so used to shooting the factory axis stock for the last 10yrs anything else is hard to get used too. I have a thumbhole on my CVA muzzleloader but cant seem to shoot it accurately but it is comfy.

SageRat Shooter
03-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Fair enough... I have a Prairie Hunter stock on my Axis that I like pretty well. It's my Prairie dog rifle but I only have a Criterion Heavy Sporter profile in it. It will not accommodate a Varmint or bull barrel however... I'm left handed though, so Boyd's may have a bull barrel option for a Right handed shooter in the Classic. If they don't specify bull barrel, then the largest contour it will accept is a light varmint contour.

ohihunter2014
03-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Fair enough... I have a Prairie Hunter stock on my Axis that I like pretty well. It's my Prairie dog rifle but I only have a Criterion Heavy Sporter profile in it. It will not accommodate a Varmint or bull barrel however... I'm left handed though, so Boyd's may have a bull barrel option for a Right handed shooter in the Classic. If they don't specify bull barrel, then the largest contour it will accept is a light varmint contour.

They offer the heavy barrel in classic. I tried the prairie hunter but prone and on bags it had too much dip in the heal for my build and make it hard to shoot so i ditched it. I am looking at the model 12 take off barrels now in 22-250 or similar so hopefully those will fit the stock as well. Right now its wearing the factory 22'' heavy barrel.

SageRat Shooter
03-22-2018, 02:29 PM
I hear you on the comb drop for the Prairie hunter.... It was my only option (that I thought I would like) for my Axis... I still like it, just not as much as I like my Pro Varmint... I keep checking back to see if Boyd's "pulled their head out" and started making more Lefty Stocks in better models... As I want to upgrade my PH stock someday.... I doubt they will ever do it now because of their new "Gimmicky POS AT-One" I've got way to much time, money, and work put into my PH to settle for anything less then exactly what I want. That's one of the lessons I learned about building off an Axis... I did look up the Classic and it is offered in a Bull Barrel option... It should work just fine for your build...

Good luck to you.

ohihunter2014
03-22-2018, 02:51 PM
I hear you on the comb drop for the Prairie hunter.... It was my only option (that I thought I would like) for my Axis... I still like it, just not as much as I like my Pro Varmint... I keep checking back to see if Boyd's "pulled their head out" and started making more Lefty Stocks in better models... As I want to upgrade my PH stock someday.... I doubt they will ever do it now because of their new "Gimmicky POS AT-One" I've got way to much time, money, and work put into my PH to settle for anything less then exactly what I want. That's one of the lessons I learned about building off an Axis... I did look up the Classic and it is offered in a Bull Barrel option... It should work just fine for your build...

Good luck to you.

If you don't mind... Why did you put the Criterion barrel on your axis and not stick with the factory barrel? I have an axis 1 sporter barrel i have been playing with the idea of upgrading it to a heavy barrel in 22-250 or 243 for a little longer reach and just something else instead of having two 223rem rifles. I seen a couple take off barrels from model 12's online for under $200 but that stuff kind of scares me a little bit cause you could get a barrel that's shot out and now your SOL.

SageRat Shooter
03-22-2018, 03:23 PM
My Axis is a 22-250 that I bought specifically for shooting Sage rats... I bot the Axis because I didn't know how much I would like shooting Prairie dogs... I was mostly doing it just to spend some more time with my Dad. After the first trip I got "HOOKED"... I was pretty good out to about 250 yards, but beyond that I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. It just had the sporter barrel, the cheap plastic stock, and of course the heavy trigger pull.

So, I began the process of building myself a more accurate rifle... First thing was the CBI barrel in a Heavy Sporter @ 26"... (I wanted a Varmint barrel, but there was no stock option for me that would accommodate that large of a contour) and a new scope (Redfield Battlezone 6-18x42) That got me Really HOOKED as I was then knocking them down @ 400 plus... But it wasn't consistent enough for me... So, then came the Boyd's stock to try and tighten my groups up even more.... Long story short... I turned into a perfectionist and wanted every bullet in the same hole in hopes that I could stretch out the distance to 500+.... Which then resulted in me building my 260 Rem, so I could buck the wind better and stretch it out even further.... It's a vicious cycle... :laser::thumb:

I chose the CBI barrel for the simple reason that they were the OEM manufacturer for KREIGER...

DrThunder88
03-23-2018, 02:13 PM
For your consideration, what about a birch stock (https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/accessories/sporter-sav-axis-dbm-sa-fbc-birch-f9bbe3) that you can later add a Kydex cheekrest (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Cv01rrCWo&t=8s&list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9&index=8) to? While it has a similar profile to a Classic with no finger grooves on the forend, the birch stock has no cheekpiece, so it would be easier to install almost any kind of cheek riser system you like. This includes (in decreasing technical complexity) internal mechanisms, Karsten-style, and strap-on solutions.

I also did a video about Boyds' birch stocks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7fZP3Xmp4&list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9&index=9&t=12s), if you'd like more info about them.