PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone converted left hand bolt head to right?

mnbogboy2
03-21-2018, 11:43 PM
I've got a left hand bolt head that I use upside down in a right hand action without the ejector.
Has anybody drilled/machined a second ejector hole to make it work as right hand?
If so, what kind dimensional tol on location (assuming the cross lock pin remains the same)?
Thanks,
Randy

Robinhood
03-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Do you have a mill? Do you have the ability to clamp the part correctly in a mill vise, spot face and drill the hole in the correct position for the retaining pin? I would say within .005-.010.....? You can probably buy one for 25 dollars or trade for someone who needs a left BH but has a right BH.

Evlshnngns
03-22-2018, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't want any other holes in my bolt face.

mnbogboy2
03-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys,
That tol is easy enough to hit but I will have to study it a little better. If the hole is flat on the bottom for the spring it will definitely require a mill which I don't have access to anymore now that I am retired (but still have friends that do). A few years ago I had several extras between builds for the grandsons (& grandaughter) must have used them all up. I found a couple of mag face and a small rifle in the pile. The LH one came on a RH action that I bought on another forum (the guy played dumb). Been using it in a single shot just for trying barrels. Oh well I will have to think about it a little more. As far as the extra hole, wouldn't bother me except for crud working its way into the new hole via the lock pin canal.
The good thing might be if you got a double smile on a case head you know the pressure gods are grinning at you LOL.
Thanks again,
Randy

Robinhood
03-22-2018, 08:01 PM
I have no idea if the hole requires an endmill (flat bottom) but if you feel that it needs it a standard drill bit can be sharpened flat on the end to finish the hole.

mnbogboy2
03-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Good point (no pun intended):p