PDA

View Full Version : LRPV barrel/caliber swap

jrkotz
09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,

So after a lot of research and shopping, I've happened into a like new LRPV

It's .223 Rt bolt, left port single shot 1 in 7"

My only hesitation is that I REALLY wanted 6BR, but it was a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

So here's the question - how easy/difficult/impossible would it be to make this a switch barrel rig or a permanent 6BR?

From what I understand all I need to do is get a new barrel and bold head, is that accurate?

I have a crazy idea of making this a "switch barrel" am I dreaming big here?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys,

-J

jrkotz
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Also posted in barrel section (wasn't sure where I'd get the right eyes)

Hey guys,

So after a lot of research and shopping, I've happened into a like new LRPV

It's .223 Rt bolt, left port single shot 1 in 7"

My only hesitation is that I REALLY wanted 6BR, but it was a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

So here's the question - how easy/difficult/impossible would it be to make this a switch barrel rig or a permanent 6BR?

From what I understand all I need to do is get a new barrel and bold head, is that accurate?

I have a crazy idea of making this a "switch barrel" am I dreaming big here?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys,

-J

drybean
09-23-2010, 09:34 PM
no problem ,buy the parts &tools &swap

bootsmcguire
09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Sounds to me like you have it about right. Just make sure you get the proper bolt head for that left port ( i think the R bolt L port guns have a special or different one). A lot of people do switch barrel rigs. Me, so far I have been trying to keep one barrel on one action, and I guess as long as I can continue to afford recievers and stocks to go along with the barrels then thats what i'll do. I personally like having a dedicated rig, but I am planning to move out to the country in the next couple of years once I find the place that suits me and I imagine that when I am somewhere where i can shoot all i want a switch barrel rig will just kinda happen ;).

Skunce
09-23-2010, 10:51 PM
A left hand bolt head is what you need for your swap. I have three barrels for LRPV, 6BR, 22-250AI and 7mm SAUM. Changing from one to the next is easy.

jrkotz
09-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Awesome! Glad I wasn't too far off base. Thanks for the replies!

Any suggestions for parts? I hear of Sharp Shooter Supply, haven't dealt with them yet.

Are there big headspacing issues with switching barrels? Or just screw it on?

Do I have a "large shank" or "small shank" receiver?

Thanks!

jrkotz
09-24-2010, 08:44 AM
What do I need?

82boy
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Please do not double post questions.
Thank you.

jrkotz
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Sorry.. wasn't sure where to post the question.

What would I need to do when switching barrels?

I'm not clear on "headspace"

Would this need measured each time?

bootsmcguire
09-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes you would have to headspace each time you change barrels. Headspace gauges or full length sized brass is needed to do this. Do a search on here, I know there are several threads about How To Headspace.

Blue Avenger
09-24-2010, 09:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/headspacestretch-1.gif

what happens if you do it wrong.