PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP-SR Trigger Issues

Harpoon1
03-19-2018, 06:26 PM
When I try to reduce the trigger weight as far as it will go, the trigger will not stay cocked manipulating the bolt with the action mounted. Work the bolt, and the trigger feels locked up, jammed. Zero movement. Out of the stock, no problem. Trigger functions fine, sear cocks and holds in place, fires no problem. Put it back in the stock, wont work. Crank the weight back up, about 2 little coils worth, and it works again.

Have another model 10 action mounted in an A5 stock, no issues with that one. You can wind all the little coils all the way in, right up to the stops, works fine.

So, what is causing this issue with the accustock?

And FWIW: Tried to order some "target" springs from one of the vendors that advertises here, and it looks like they just sent stock springs instead. Same size wire, same number of coils. WTF? Installed it anyway, actually made it worse, poundage went up slightly from the broken in factory spring.

celltech
03-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Look and see if *any* of the spring is sticking out when you have it turned down all the way (spring screwed in tight). Odds are it's bottoming out on the inside of the stock...some of them have very little clearance. Dremel/file some relief or cut some of the tail off the spring with some snips.

Harpoon1
03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Look and see if *any* of the spring is sticking out when you have it turned down all the way (spring screwed in tight). Odds are it's bottoming out on the inside of the stock...some of them have very little clearance. Dremel/file some relief or cut some of the tail off the spring with some snips.

CT,

Awesome, that makes sense! There is probably a coils worth, at least, of the tag end protruding. I'll snip it off.

Thanks.

Edited: That was it, just cut the excess off, works like a champ. Thanks again!

celltech
03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Glad to hear it...drive me temporarily insane the first time it happened to me. And I think your rifle already has the lightest spring you can get. But they work wonders in my Axis models...

Harpoon1
03-21-2018, 06:11 PM
...............And I think your rifle already has the lightest spring you can get...........

Well, now that makes sense also, and would explain the other "puzzlement". And a pity because both models 10's are still considerably heavier than I'd like. Gonna have to fool around with them some more I guess.

Thanks again Celltech.

Robinhood
03-24-2018, 02:56 PM
One observation that is critical when you are trying to lighten the trigger pull on a savage. The trigger must be seated against the sear with at least some force. This requires the spring to be preloaded. The result of no preload on the sear is either on bolt closing the sear will trip and the safety blade will catch the sear from falling. Or any incidental contact with the trigger and it trips. In both of those circumstances you will see no firing pin impression on the primer and it will require re-cocking. The only solution is to increase preload by adjusting the spring. ( or push forward on the trigger on bolt closing...not wise) If you want a lighter trigger on a savage you will need to polish or replace with a SSS or SAVII.