PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Heavy Sporter?

Hondo64d
03-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Looking for range reports on Criterion Heavy Sporter contour barrels, particularly direct comparison to their light varmint contour.

i have a heavy varmint, which shoots very well, but my 3 light varmint contours group just as well. If the heavy sporter will group as well as the light varmint, my next barrel may very well be the heavy sporter contour.

Thanks,

John

Robinhood
03-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Sometimes even the best sporter profile will start to move after several rounds. For me, the expectation for a sporter/heavy sporter should be a great fist and second shot and a good/great third shot. I think that you should expect that from any Criterion. If not you should be calling NSS.

I'm sorry if I hurt someones feelings. Thanks for the dislike......1 year later.

SageRat Shooter
03-19-2018, 01:54 PM
I have the Heavy Sporter in 22-250 on my Axis that I use for shooting sage rats... It will put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards. It does heat up and will move the POI a little bit... I also have a Varmint Contoured CBI on my 260... I feel that the heavy sporter is just as accurate as the Varmint contour... You just have to be more aware of how many rounds in a row you shoot.

When I'm in the PD field depending on temps... I just keep shooting as long as I have a target... I've shot 250 rounds in about 4 hours through it on occasion....

I always thought, that the Lite varmint and the Heavy sporter had the same contour....??? where/what is the difference in those 2 contours??

Hondo64d
03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
I appreciate the feedback.

from what I understand, the LV and heavy sporter terminate at the same muzzle diameter, but the heavy sporter is contoured whereas the LV is a straight taper.

Im gonna have to give a heavy sporter a try before too long.

John

SageRat Shooter
03-19-2018, 02:15 PM
I appreciate the feedback.

from what I understand, the LV and heavy sporter terminate at the same muzzle diameter, but the heavy sporter is contoured whereas the LV is a straight taper.

Thanks for the Clarification Hondo... I'm thinking I will upgrade to the lite varmint when it comes time to rebarrel again... As long as it will fit in my Prairie Hunter stock....? Supposedly it does...? Anybody know for sure?

biggun
03-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Just put a 20" heavy spotter in 6.5x284 on a 110 this weekend and the first 3 shot group with 130 Bergers was .283. Put first 15 shots down the tube this evening and it looks very promising. And the look and weight is great.