PDA

View Full Version : Which Savage rifle action best to build a gun with?

protaxidermist
03-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Hello
Im new to Savage rifles and I know alot of you build rifles using Savage rifles as a base. I want to biuld a 30-06 with a varmit barrel and would like detachable bow mag. Which Gun would be best to start with?
thanks for your help.

J.Baker
03-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Any of the newer centerfeed long-actions. They're basically all the same as far as the action goes, the different model numbers and letters just indicate different attributes (stainless steel or blued, sporter or heavy barrel, etc.)

protaxidermist
03-15-2018, 09:14 PM
I basicly want to end up with a 114 with a HB and some nice bottom metal and nice wood.

Username
03-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Any of the newer centerfeed long-actions. They're basically all the same as far as the action goes, the different model numbers and letters just indicate different attributes (stainless steel or blued, sporter or heavy barrel, etc.)

Are you saying that all of the new actions are long actions or that there’s an advantage to using a long action even for a short action cartridge?

VAFISH
03-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Are you saying that all of the new actions are long actions or that there’s an advantage to using a long action even for a short action cartridge?

I don't thaink J Baker meant either.

The OP asked about the .30-06, which is a long action. So any of the newer centerfeed long actions would be his best choice for a .30-06. If you want a short action cartridge I think a short action is the best choice even though I have a .308 on a 110 long action that works just fine.

Texas10
03-21-2018, 10:04 PM
I see that there is a new 110 action for sale in the ads here. Might be a good start.

Username
03-21-2018, 10:45 PM
I don't thaink J Baker meant either.

The OP asked about the .30-06, which is a long action. So any of the newer centerfeed long actions would be his best choice for a .30-06. If you want a short action cartridge I think a short action is the best choice even though I have a .308 on a 110 long action that works just fine.

Oh, of course he did.

J.Baker
03-21-2018, 11:14 PM
Oh, of course he did.

And how would you know what I meant?

As VAFish pointed out, the OP specifically mentioned .30-06 - a long action cartridge.

Robinhood
03-22-2018, 12:00 AM
Maybe it was an "aha" moment Jim.

Adding on to Jim's suggestion, most people look for the top bolt release version for builds

SageRat Shooter
03-22-2018, 09:59 AM
I went with the 11/111 bottom bolt release on my build... I'm left handed so I don't have the same available actions/parts that right handed shooters do. I bot it brand new right off the shelf and tore it down. My suggestion is to buy a 11/111 chambered in 30-06 already, (or .270) that way all you have to do it swap out the barrel, get a new stock or chassis, and you're good to go.

Username
03-22-2018, 03:42 PM
And how would you know what I meant?

As VAFish pointed out, the OP specifically mentioned .30-06 - a long action cartridge.

Right, I missed that he had specified a cartridge in the original post. Wasn’t being sarcastic.

I was a little confused that you said they’re all the same. Savage told me over the phone that they’re still going to make short actions, but I have my doubts given what other manufacturers are doing (basically making long actions with magazine plugs and bolt stops).