PDA

View Full Version : Go/No-Go gages for Ackley Improved cartridges

mmhoium
09-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I was originally going to build a 260 Rem on a Savage target action but I came across a deal for a 260 AI barrel, so I'm changing plans. So my question is this: I already bought 260 Rem Go/No-Go Gages, do I need to buy 260 AI gages or can I use the standard 260 Rem gages? I'm not new to shooting, but I am new to rebarreling. Thanks for any help I can get...

-M

kslefty
09-23-2010, 05:46 PM
People do this both ways. The regular .260 needs to fit into the AI chamber with a slight "crush" fit of .004". Basically the .260 go gage is the no-go for the AI cartridge. Setting the the headspace tight on a parent case has worked fine on all of my re barrels.

mmhoium
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the help greatly!

-M

GaCop
09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
If only I had know this before I ordered my PT&G 223AI GO gauge.

LSUBOY
11-09-2010, 10:47 PM
What happens iffin you set the AI headspace using an AI go gauge? Do you still get the crush fit.

bootsmcguire
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes you should. The way I understand it, most AI cases have the shoulder/neck vertex point moved back .004" from the parent case. Parker O. Ackley did this when he designed the Improved cases to aide in proper allignment of a loaded parent case being chambered, the crush fit kind of making its own shoulder to headspace on because of the shoulder angle difference, that way case forming was unnecessary as it is with other wildcats. Plus of course you get the benifit of using regluar "parent" ammo in the event of lost ammo on a hunting trip and of course using loaded parent ammo to fireform your Improved cases for reloading.