PDA

View Full Version : No way can I build this rifle

mugsie
09-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I bought the tools, am ready to go, but I'm racking my brains trying to find a used Savage rifle out there. I live in Eastern PA an want to build a 6mm BR. I called at least 7 places already and no one has a used Savage to be had. I'd like a model 10 for the short action, DBM and Accutrigger but would take a long action too if I could find one - nutten - absolutely nothing to be had! :'(

Lots of Edge's out there, but they have a different action. What am I doing wrong? ???

thirty06
09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Go to the vender's section on here. See what Northland has.
He sells just actions, rifles and barrels.
Can't beat dealing with Jim.

fatdaddy
09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
+1, I buy actions from Jim too. Chances are your going to end up replacing stock and barrel anyway. If you like the accu-trigger, or want stainless, buy a savage. If your going to replace the trigger, get the cheaper Stevens action. The only fly in the butter is you have to deal with a FFL shipping but any gun shop can do it if they will, around here they charge 15 to 25 bucks for it. While you have him on the phone, talk to Jim about the barrel you want...Bill

EFBell
09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
become a member here and jump on the classifieds. There are actions, complete rifles and various parts sold every day.

Where abouts in Pa are you?

Blue Avenger
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
[

What am I doing wrong? ???

being impatient. 3 will show up after you buy the wrong one. :) pawn shops around you?

learjet
09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
dunno if gettysburg is too far of a drive, but Reddings Hardware usually has a few for around $300. might wanna give them a call

pdog06
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
mugsie, you shoulda went to the Valley Forge gun show last weekend. They always have used Savages there to be had.

You could wait till Oct 2nd and try the Lebanon Expo gun show. It has alot of the vendors from VF, but a smaller show with about 500-600 tables. Heres the info on it:

Address: 80 Rocherty Rd
City: Lebanon

Promoter: Eagle Arms Productions

Show Dates are
Saturday October 2nd : 9am - 5pm.
Sunday October 3rd : 9am - 4pm.
Admission : $5.00
Parking is free!.

***I have found that Sunday hasnt been as good, as some of the vendors will leave early if they have a good Saturday.

mugsie
09-24-2010, 06:49 AM
I live in Montgomeryville, near Lansdale and Doylestown. I think you're right - I'll try one of the gun shows first. As far as joining, I don't have a Pay Pal account, so I'll probably just send em' a check for $24 and join for a couple of years. Might as well.

Thanks for your help - I can see this is going to be an interesting journey!

whit
09-24-2010, 08:08 AM
If you are coming to the Lebanon show. Stop at Shyda's gun shop before going to the show to see what they have. Directions to Shyda's: go east on Rocherty Rd. past Expo Center turn left onto Lincoln Ave. Gunshop is about 1/2 mile on left. Their prices are very good!

pdog06
09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Mmmmmmm.....Shydas Gunshop!!!!!!!!!!!! Love that place...

BrentWin
09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
being impatient. 3 will show up after you buy the wrong one.

Been there, done that!

AVanGorder
09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
being impatient. 3 will show up after you buy the wrong one.

Been there, done that!

Me too.... That's how I ended up with 50,000 primers and 104 pounds of H4198 within six weeks.

okie2
09-24-2010, 08:50 PM
so now we know why the rest of us could not find any primers to buy anywhere.

whit
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
FWIW, Shyda's is having their Anniversary Sale this in both the Gun Shop and Clothing Barn.

shovelheadave
09-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I live in Montgomeryville, near Lansdale and Doylestown. I think you're right - I'll try one of the gun shows first. As far as joining, I don't have a Pay Pal account, so I'll probably just send em' a check for $24 and join for a couple of years. Might as well.

Thanks for your help - I can see this is going to be an interesting journey!

I'm just up the road in Harleysville, try Seneca Arms in Greenlane.

I'll be in Gettysburg this weekend, I'll give a swing by Redding's.

5spd
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I still have an FP10 for sale that has the action you want, but no DBM or AT.