PDA

View Full Version : keep or ditch my axis?

Pages : 1 [2]

98dyna
05-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Another thing, the 12FV feels very nose heavy to me with a plastic stock. Out in the field I would need a bipod to shoot long range on the ground but the plastic stock still worries me. You won't be shooting the 12 out the drivers window to often either at gophers. I have a 12 and a 112 both BVSS's pushing 13 pounds each, carry those around all day and your arm are an inch longer. Barrel life, during WWII the average barrel life on a M1 Garand shooting 147 grain steel jacket ammo was 10,000 rounds before they were considered worn out. And they used steel bore rods to clean the barrels, no wonder muzzles eroded.

charlie b
06-20-2018, 03:35 PM
I also have an Axis II in .223 HB. I got it cheap from Walmart cause I had heard that they were accurate. It has been. A solid MOA rifle. And the accutrigger has been nice too. When I wanted a good long range rifle I weighed the differences between an Axis project and a new rifle. Several other things besides cost were part of the consideration.

I now have a 12BVSS in .308 with a Vortex PST scope. Yes, it was more expensive, much more expensive. And, yes, the first rounds out of it included the group below (those were rounds #11, 12, 13). I expect to be able to do better than that with some load development. It was also the first time I zeroed a rifle at 200yd instead of 100yd.

Can you do the same with an Axis? Yep. Good barrel, heavier stock, good scope.

But, I do not consider the BVSS a 'walking' varmint gun. I have not weighed mine but it is probably 12lb. It is, to me, an entry level 1000yd rifle. If I only needed 4-500yd I would have stayed with the Axis.

My .223 load is 25.3gn Varget and Sierra 69 MatchKings. Good for less than 1" at 100yd if I do my part. I had a 10rnd group that was .75" Most of the time I jerk at least one round in a group. I have also used the Nosler 69BTHP and they seem good too.

After firing the BVSS I also decided to upgrade the plastic stock on the Axis so I have a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock coming.

Since you won't get much for your Axis I would say to keep it. Either keep it as is and save up for a 12, or just upgrade the Axis.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/658e5a189474685fe0c90f3c4ade738b.jpg

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk