PDA

View Full Version : 116 Lightweight stock and bottom metal options?

03mossy
03-12-2018, 02:52 PM
I think I have looked at and know most of my options out there but I am asking incase there is an option I am over looking. I picked up a 116 Lightweight in .270 for my next build for a great price. I will be ordering a 35 Whelen barrel in a month or so. I want this to be a tough bad weather deer/moose/bear gun. I know some options are Boyds, Bell and Carlson Medalist, and Hogue. I like the durability of the B&C stocks. I also really like the grip on the hogue stocks and it would make sense for the purpose of this build. I want to keep the weight down so thought about just sticking with the factory stock but man what a flimsy piece of plastic that thing is. The barrel is so off centered its touching on the one side and a huge gap on the other. Also there is a huge gap behind the tang that I worry sticks, leaves, and mud will fall in there and get in the trigger. Am I right to assume I will need different bottom parts since the lightweight model uses the plastic parts. Ideally I would like to convert it over to a hinged bottom metal if thats an option.

Any help on some or all of this would be appreciated! Thanks.

jpdown
03-13-2018, 01:26 PM
I've used the Savage LWH action for several light weight rifle builds since it was introduced a few years ago. Although they are hard to find for sale, the walnut LWH stocks are a great replacement for the pathetic plastic stocks that come on the Savage 16/116 LWH. They are strong with little flex, compact and have a standard Savage DBM inlet that is compatible with the metal Savage DBM/HFP (Bear Hunter), bottom metal and bottom bolt release trigger guard. The LWH walnut stocks are also the lightest when compared to aftermarket stocks you mentioned.

I recently finished a build using a Savage 16 LWH and a couple of Savage 11 LWH walnut stocks. I used Tru-Oil to enhance/build up the factory finish on the bottom stock. I used a chemical stripper to remove the factory finish on the top painted walnut stock. I resealed the wood with three coats of Duracoat after I bedded the action. I replace the plastic trigger guard and grip cap with a metal trigger guard and metal grip cap. I use the plastic DBM assembly on the painted stock for hunting since it is several ounces lighter than the metal version. The Tru-Oil finished stock is shown with the SS metal DBM assembly.

03mossy
03-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks JP!! That may actually be the best way to go. I love the stainless walnut look. Ill keep a look out for a 111 lightweight stock.

03mossy
03-16-2018, 10:34 AM
I had sent an email to Hogue late last night asking the weight of their stocks since I couldn't find it anywhere and I have read they are heavy. This was their response this morning.

"The weight of our pillar bed stocks are approximately 2lbs 10 oz. Our full bed stocks are 2lbs 15oz"

How much do both the wood and plastic version of the factory Savage Lightweight stocks weigh?

jpdown
03-16-2018, 06:15 PM
The 11/111 LWH walnut stocks are around 27-28 oz bare with no trigger guard. The synthetic 16/116 LWH stock weight is only 1 to 2 ounces less. I also have a Stockade Hunter composite, blind magazine stock with a 111 LWH action. The Stockade Hunter stocks are around 28-30 oz bare. Most of the aftermarket stocks your looking at are going to be closer 2.5 to 3.0 lbs with a decent recoil pad.

Apollo117
03-16-2018, 07:24 PM
The 11/111 LWH walnut stocks are around 27-28 oz bare with no trigger guard. The synthetic 16/116 LWH stock weight is only 1 to 2 ounces less. I also have a Stockade Hunter composite, blind magazine stock with a 111 LWH action. The Stockade Hunter stocks are around 28-30 oz bare. Most of the aftermarket stocks your looking at are going to be closer 2.5 to 3.0 lbs with a decent recoil pad.How do you like the Stockade Hunter composite? I'm considering the same stock for my model 16 Lightweight Hunter. Stockade lists 28-30 oz for the stock. Is that accurate?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jpdown
03-16-2018, 07:41 PM
The Stockade Hunter is a very good stock. The 28 to 30 oz weight is correct. I highly recommend. But expect a long wait.

grouse
03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
The Stockade Hunter is a very good stock. The 28 to 30 oz weight is correct. I highly recommend. But expect a long wait.

Is that with his new fill? The new fill is more durable(according to Kevin) however its heavier.

It makes no sense to spend the extra money on a lightweight hunter action and then add a heavy stock.

jpdown
03-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Older fill.