PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, just being regular, is not so bad.

dcloco
09-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Traded for the 30/06 barrel and screwed this on an action tonight. Previously bought the older/non accutrigger action for a "future" project as well as the wood stock.

Nothing wazoo, tactical, or varmint about this rig....just a rifle that can be carried and will work on anything in North America.

Point of all this, sometimes it does not take a BR, AI, Edge, or whatever caliber to make a shooting stick great. Buy quality components, pay attention to detail, and build what YOU really need or want.

So, this will be the specs of the rifle:

Factory wood stock with checkering. Lightweight, affordable, and if it gets scratched, no big deal.

Barrel - 30/06 McGowen in a stainless magnum contour. Lightweight and in a caliber that can be used on any game in North America. PLENTY of affordable brass with a HUGE amount of bullets available.

Action - standard long action, flat back, non accutrigger action. Will have a factory 3 screw trigger on board. No need for anything else in the field. Of course, will be using a stainless lug from Northlander tightened with a McRee Precision barrel nut wrench.

Scope base - will have a 20 MOA EGW. Why? Why not? LOL! Can dial if needed for the long shots.

Rings - Burris Signature Zee.

Scope - Either a Pentax Gameseeker in 2.5-10x56 or 3.5-12x44 Cabella's Alaskan Gide scope (older model)

All told, will end up with less than $550 in the entire build.

09-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Heck, I thought it just needed to be built by me? I think all 3 rifles I have put together are great shooting sticks!!! ;D

Uncle Jack
09-23-2010, 05:53 AM
I have "several" Savage rifles in calibers .22 to .338. Most are put together from a variety of parts. Every one of them will shoot at least 1.00"MOA. Some will shoot -.375"MOA.

When I first started rifle shooting (over 50 years ago) any rifle that would consistantly shoot 1.00"MOA was a family heirloom.

uj

rchouser
09-23-2010, 07:06 AM
+1 for keeping an "ought six".
+1 for a "plain jane working gun".
+1 for Savage who lets us build what we want.

30-06 is still one of the all time greats.

davemuzz
09-23-2010, 07:43 AM
:D

Anyone remember those old "Leave it to Beaver" TV shows?

Your post topic just reminded me of one of the lines from one of those old shows (that I use to watch regularly as a kid!)

The setup was....The "Beve's Parents were worried about his behavior for some reason, so the opened his diary and read a page:

-Woke up, got dressed, went to school
- Saw Sally on the bus and made a icky face at her
- She made one back so now I think she thinks I like her
- Got my math test back, Got a B+
- Got out of school and decided to walk home
- On my way home I saw a dead cat
- Came home to the smell of Mom's cooking. What a good day.

Seems like a day, just about every day, when I was a kid.

;D So yeah.....being regular is actually pretty good.

FWIW

Dave

ctrout
09-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Reminded me of a Metamucil commercial! ;D ;D

Eric in NC
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Reminded me of a Metamucil commercial! ;D ;D

Beat me to it - I always like to be regular.

Uncle Jack
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Got out of the hospital a couple of months ago. Must have picked up a bug there and since then "being a regular kind of guy" has been one of my fondest dreams.

uj