PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try readjusting headspace on a factory Savage?

Pages : 1 [2]

tobnpr
03-09-2018, 11:08 PM
FL dies are designed to size to spec (SAAMI) when bottomed out...
We know your headspace is correct.
Sure sounds to me as though the die is "off" if it will oversize the case, IF you bottomed it out on the shellholder as would typically be required. As you stated, most of the time we need to really cam a press over hard to get out all the mechanical "slop" to get needed shoulder setback- and it's not unusual to need to grind the bottom of a die to get a bit more bump because they typically are so conservative.

This is intentional, if a manufacturer were to produce a die that could substantially oversize cases there'd be potential casehead separations (not to mention injuries and lawsuits). I do think your suspicions are correct, I'd call Whidden to discuss.

But since you have the die spaced up so as not to oversize, I'm still puzzled by the unusual amount of case stretching going on (based on the trimming you need to keep doing). Typically, I can go a half-dozen or so reloads before needing to trim.

Robinhood
03-10-2018, 01:43 PM
SAAMI spec in not perfect for every chamber. If your rifles head space is at or near max but the die is bottomed out to meet minimum, then you will have .005 + or - loose on case head space. Combine that with varying tolerances for the shell holder.....

Q has stated that he knows how much he is bumping. so bottom out or not he is getting the size he needs.(Whidden discusses having to adjust dies off of face to face to get the right bump anyway. A Whidden 284 FLS shows a .014 gap to bump factory Winchester back .001. #2 shell holder used.

With that being said could Brass flow be an indicator of the softness of the brass in the section just bellow the neck upwards? Q, do you anneal?

Qbert
03-10-2018, 01:49 PM
I did email Whidden a couple weeks ago about a separate issue with my Creedmoor seater but haven't heard back. It looks like an actual phone call is in order.

Robinhood, I do anneal. At least every other firing but lately I've been doing it every time. I use the Annealeze or however you spell it.

grouse
03-10-2018, 01:54 PM
My factory 300 wsm would close easily on a no go gauge. I do t think they run the tolerances too tight at the factory which makes you wonder how important headspace is.

mnbogboy2
03-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Qbert,
I agree with your line of thought, saving brass by working it less especially the high buck Lapua. Re-headspacing might be a worth while test.
Your cartridge headspace is good at .002 bump. If you can get by with less so much the better.
Sounds to me as others stated die is a lot tighter than the chamber (similar to a small base die), or chamber is a lot sloppier than a std die. The extra force required is squeezing (as a toothpaste tube) the extra brass forward which accounts for your extra trim.
You could tighten your shoulder to bolt headspace to Saami minimum or even a tad less. This might alleviate some sizing effort and making bumping easier. You might as other suggest have to shorten your die a tad but probably not as your die has some clearance at the present (which is good).
A custom die based on your fired brass would be the best fit ($$$). but...
If it were me I would set the barrel headspace back to a "snug fit" on the go-gauge. And yes I use tape too Scotch brand std (.002 very very close). No bolt close with one piece of tape.
After tightening headspace your case will start a smidge deeper into the chamber and any dimensional change near the case head will be less. Very small change but it should help with the force required to resize with less neck growth from sizing.
Easy enough to try. Witness marks before you dis-assemble will help get you back if anything goes south.
Accuracy might even get better! never had one get worse after re-assembly.

my .02 & good luck,
Randy

Qbert
03-11-2018, 02:02 AM
grouse, did your 300WSM shoot well? Did you ever tighten the headspace?

Randy, thanks for your post. Great minds think alike. Or so they say. :p

grouse
03-11-2018, 02:28 PM
grouse, did your 300WSM shoot well? Did you ever tighten the headspace?

Randy, thanks for your post. Great minds think alike. Or so they say. :p

It actually did. I never touched it. The only problem was bolt opening. I suspect that was due to the excessive head space.