PDA

View Full Version : If you had a choice left port?

SNOW JW
03-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Was going to go with a regular right Port right bolt design for my build but then I started thinking I've always wanted a left port setup. Would like to do it right the first time so those of you that have had left Port right port for shooting prairie dogs what would you do if you had to do it again?

ghostdncr
03-04-2018, 08:29 PM
I had a right bolt/left port Wichita in 6PPC, and cannot imagine a finer setup for the right handed single-shot shooter. The universe was just as it should be with that setup. :cool:

orbitup
03-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Just ordered one's in 6BR. I can't wait to try it out.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-05-2018, 10:05 AM
I bench shoot and wanted to try a "left hand" action. I'am right handed. Picked up a Model 10 left hand repeater and mounted it in an "ambi" stock. Loved it SO, I ordered up a laminated right hand thumb hole bench rest style stock and cut the inlet to fit the left hand action. Only mod was plugging the right hand bolt handle cut and re cutting it on the left side.
Right hand stays in the thumb hole to keep control the stock while the free left hand feeds ammo and works the bolt. Works as planned!!:cool:
I just picked up a "left hand" laminated thumb hole for an XP 100. The perfect match from birth. Don't know why they didn't come that way from day one.

gbflyer
03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Another vote for the port being opposite the handle for single feed. Absolutely the handiest thing in the world.

SNOW JW
03-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Can you still use or get a setup with a magazine with the left port??

Stuntjake912
03-08-2018, 07:12 AM
I have argued for years!!! that left and right hand bolt guns don’t make sense for their intended dominant shooter. I shoot left handed long guns and pistols right handed. I have all right handed bolt guns and left handed shotguns. A left handed shooter has an advantage with right guns in my opinion, trigger hand never leaves grip trigger guard. And the most important and nicest thing about the opposed action. I can watch the round chamber and see if I have a problem or feed issue while. A right handed shooter with a right handed gun cannot witness or see the problem without coming off the stock and going overtop of the gun.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-08-2018, 09:42 AM
"Another vote for the port being opposite the handle for single feed"

You still have to take your "control" hand off the rig to feed ammo OR work the bolt.

Stockrex
03-08-2018, 01:41 PM
I had a right bolt/left port Wichita in 6PPC, and cannot imagine a finer setup for the right handed single-shot shooter. The universe was just as it should be with that setup. :cool:

This, I could not believe how natural it was using my left port right bolt,

Whynot
03-08-2018, 02:57 PM
I have a single shot target action with left port- right bolt and really like it... Sometimes I wish I would have purchased a left port load and right port eject- but overall I am happy with it. As someone mentioned earlier- as a right hand shooter I ran a left hand action (adjusted to vent gas to the other side if something went wrong) and thought it was amazing until I took it hunting. Off of a bench I could keep my right hand on the trigger and cycle the bolt left handed very easily- but shooting from a standing position and trying to do a follow-up shot was difficult. Bringing your left hand back to run the bolt makes the gun front heavy and fall- causing you to loose whatever you are looking at. But in a target gun or a single shot I do prefer the left port right bolt.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-09-2018, 10:58 AM
For "bench shooting", the left hand action is a natural for a righty. My Model 10 started life as a repeater but got the "single shot" treatment with a single shot adaptor from Sharp Shooter Supply along with a T&T job. Only problem now is "for bench shooting", I prefer it over my right hand rigs.