PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas vs Walmart Axis rifles

Pages : 1 [2]

SageRat Shooter
03-06-2018, 03:45 PM
I will need some advice on a stock and bottom metal!

The 12FV is a heavy barreled rifle, so you are going to have some difficulty in finding a Boyds stock with a Monte Carlo comb... The Monte Carlo comb comes on the Prairie hunter, and The Heritage. The problem is, that you can't open the barrel channel wide enough to accept the heavy barrel that comes on the 12FV, with either of those stocks (Heavy sporter/lite varmint at most). You may want to look at the Thumbhole or Pro varmint stocks... They will accommodate the heavy barrel on the 12FV.

My brother has the 12FV in 22-250 and he put this one on his, which is better than the Boyds Pro Varmint in my opinion... https://www.stockysstocks.com/bobby-hart-long-range-target-tactical-lrt-remington-700-bdl-savage-10-12-4-40-laminated-heavy-barrel-riflestocks-right-left-hand-models.html

If you go with the Boyd's Pro Varmint: you will have to contact Savage and order the "bottom metal for wood stocks" I went with the actual METAL, but they also offer it in plastic (if I remember correctly) and my bottom metal ran about $150.00 total.

just my .02

protaxidermist
03-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Thats a great 2 cents!!!!!

charlie b
06-20-2018, 04:11 PM
FWIW, I bought one of those Axis in .223 last year. It is a solid MOA or less with good loads (handloads or match factory loads). It impressed me enough that I bought a 12BVSS this year.

If you just want an accurate plinker and the cheap scope on the Axis will do for you, then get the Axis. And, yes, you can tell it is a cheap scope when you look through it. Will it do for most daylight varmint work? Yes. Dim light or extended ranges then you would appreciate a better scope. And if you plan on a better scope then the 12 makes far more sense for all the reasons listed above.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk