PDA

View Full Version : New 2018 110 models

Mbonadio
03-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Saw the new 110 tactical in 308 and 6.5 and think this might be a good choice for me. Looking for good accurate long rifle for target shooting 200-400 range. Maybe further as time and skills progresses. I am not a hunter. Plan to mount a Nikon Prostaff 7 4-12x42.

Anyone spend any time with these? Can't find one locally but my dealer can order me one. I love the fde of the 6.5 but not sure I want to choose it over 308 yet.

I know these rifles are mostly targeted at hunters and this is no "precision rifle". But I have looked at several options including the venerable Remington 700series and really like the features on the 110 tactical.

Just want to make a wise choice for spending $1k on a rifle and scope.

yankeedog
03-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Shoot it, improve it (buy goodies), shoot it some more, put 5 in a nickle, call it a gun!

penna shooter
03-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the barrel nut.

tobnpr
03-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Inside 400 yards there's no significant advantage of the 6.5 Creed over the .308 for most applications/shooters-especially if you don't handload.
Much more ammo selection in .308, over a wider price range.
I realize the 6.5 Creed gets a lot of press- and no doubt its a great round for a lot of reasons- but at closer ranges like this, there's little significant variation in drop and drift between it and numerous other chamberings.

If you intend to go to 600 and further, different ballgame. But again, keep in mind your ammo costs. The .308 is a capable, affordable round which allows those that shoot factory ammo to send a lot more lead downrange for their buck- and that's critical for developing the skills needed to shoo at longer ranges.

Mbonadio
03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Great feedback. I will say 90 percent of my shooting will be 200-400 yards. Will I go further. Sure as I get more precise. Not many places to go that far though. So for next year probably just plinking for fun way out there. I want to get serious at the range fro. 200 and 400.

So probably not worth the worry now as you pointed out.

Is the 110 tactical going to be a good choice for me as a target shooter or should I be considering a different model? Seems to be a great ppackage to start with. Keeping in mind I am a pistol shooter with some ar15 50-100 yard range time.

20 or 24" barrel? From what I read not a lot of differences but maybe a 308 24" gives me the right capabilities for now to go a little further?

I wanted to keep my initial rifle cost low enough to afford decent glass and stay at 1k.

Inside 400 yards there's no significant advantage of the 6.5 Creed over the .308 for most applications/shooters-especially if you don't handload.
Much more ammo selection in .308, over a wider price range.
I realize the 6.5 Creed gets a lot of press- and no doubt its a great round for a lot of reasons- but at closer ranges like this, there's little significant variation in drop and drift between it and numerous other chamberings.

If you intend to go to 600 and further, different ballgame. But again, keep in mind your ammo costs. The .308 is a capable, affordable round which allows those that shoot factory ammo to send a lot more lead downrange for their buck- and that's critical for developing the skills needed to shoo at longer ranges.

tobnpr
03-04-2018, 07:09 PM
^^^
Should be a winner like most every Savage, though I cannot speak to the new Accufit stock yet as I haven't handled one.
For target applications, you definitely want a heavy contour barrel (though I'd prefer non-fluted for more more stiffness).
The 10FCP has always been known as a very accurate rifle out of the box, and this model looks to be nearly identical except for the new stock. The 24" barrel will give a bit more velocity; and if weight isn't a big concern I'd go with it. That said, plenty of shooters go to 1,000 yards (with the proper ammo) with a 20" barrel, .308 very effectively.

bearcatrp
03-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Ballistics show the 6.5CM better than the 308 after 500 yards. Punching holes won’t wake a difference. I was banging steel @1000 yards with my savage 10T 308 this past summer. 6.5 may shoot flatter but the mighty 308 can launch 225 gr pills that can buck the wind better than any 6.5 round. But bullet selection and practice will make the difference. Get the 308 and enjoy it. Nice thing about a savage rifle is not hard to swap the barrel down the road.

Mbonadio
03-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Great. The argument for 308 is compeling. I have to agree there are lots of ammo options that are reasonably costed.

Is the 110 tactal 308 my best choice in the Savage line up? Or should I compare it with something else. Lots to like and the price is low enough that I can actually afford decent glass on top.

I have a habit of buyimg lots of guns impulsively so the fact i went all weekend and havent boight anything is a miracle. Lol!

Ballistics show the 6.5CM better than the 308 after 500 yards. Punching holes won’t wake a difference. I was banging steel @1000 yards with my savage 10T 308 this past summer. 6.5 may shoot flatter but the mighty 308 can launch 225 gr pills that can buck the wind better than any 6.5 round. But bullet selection and practice will make the difference. Get the 308 and enjoy it. Nice thing about a savage rifle is not hard to swap the barrel down the road.