PDA

View Full Version : Shilen aftermarket on Boyds AT-ONE

Steve Redgwell
03-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Hi. I'm hoping that someone has tried this already and can provide an answer.

I recently came across a bargain for a project rifle. It's a Model 11 in 243 Win - $370. If it was fired, there were precious few shots put through it. It is an oddball Model 11. DBM, no accutrigger or accustock. Produced in 2010. I want to put this into a Boyds factory contour AT-ONE stock. This has the std 0.585 muzzle.

I am curious if anyone has bought a Shilen aftermarket barrel, S4, Heavy Sporter, with the 0.685 muzzle, and has it in a factory contour Boyds AT-ONE stock.

I am concerned with fit. I would prefer not to remove any wood.

Steve

penna shooter
03-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the Barrel Nut

J.Baker
03-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Factory sporter barrel is .560" at the muzzle. The Shilen #4 is noticeably larger as you've noticed, so yes you're going to have to remove some wood for it to fit.

An appropriately sized deep well socket or wooden dowel wrapped with course grit sandpaper makes quick work of the job. Once it's opened up to size use 320 or 400 grit to smooth it out and then apply some Tru-Oil to seal it back up. Just take your time and check the fit often.

Steve Redgwell
03-05-2018, 05:28 PM
I appreciate you answering, but will ask again if anyone has actually tried putting the slightly larger 0.685 inch (muzzle) diameter Shilen #4 barrel into an AT-ONE stock.

I have two AT-ONE stocks with the std 0.585 (muzzle) Savage barrels seated into them. I do not have the slightly larger barrel in my possession to check the fit.

SageRat Shooter
03-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Steve,

The At-One is still too new and is a very "gimmicky" stock. Most of the guys here are not into gimmicks, so we are trying to help you with your questions... There always has to be "a first" for everything, maybe you will be that guy...

Good luck to you.

Steve Redgwell
03-05-2018, 06:29 PM
The AT-ONE stock is not a gimmick. It is one of a number of adjustable stocks available to shooters. Magpul, Boyds, and Savage among others are doing this.

At any rate, I have to assume that no one here has tried the #4 contour in an AT-ONE.

J.Baker
03-05-2018, 09:08 PM
I've put a Shilen #4 in a different stock that was inlet for a sporter barrel, and like I said above...you're going to have to open the barrel channel up some to accept it.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?205-Savage-Axis-Build-Barrel-Stock

orbitup
03-05-2018, 09:50 PM
You could ask them directly.

mnbogboy2
03-06-2018, 12:16 AM
If you have two stocks with the smaller barrels mounted in them, why not get some flexible shim stock and measure all your clearances at set intervals along the barrel. Then plot out a theoretical barrel contour with your clearance measurements and the barrel diameter at the set intervals. A simple comparison of numbers should give you an idea if it will fit or come close.

My .02,
Randy

Robinhood
03-06-2018, 01:05 AM
I don't think the OP is interested in how to fix it or if he can make it work. He needs to know from someone who has done it.

Steve, There are one or two people on this forum that I would listen to. Jim happens to be one. It fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't buy something else...un less you want to custom fit it. If so read Jim's post again.

Steve Redgwell
03-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks, but I wanted to save myself the trouble of having to remove some of the wood. No one has done it, so let's leave it at that.

I would suggest to anyone that reads this or any other post where a poster is looking for specific information, unless you can comment from experience, you should defer.

orbitup has the sensible suggestion.

Have fun, gentlemen. Take care.