PDA

View Full Version : My 45 ACP carbine is started

dolomite_supafly
09-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Just a precursor post to peak interest for when it is done. The barrel and receiver was dropped off last week so hopefully it will be done some time next week. I will be posting pictures when it is done.

So here are the specs:
Shilen match barrel cut to 17" and installed without the use of the barrel nut
Barrel is 1" diameter except at the muzzle where it is cut to .920" for .74" to allow the use of Tech Sights.
High cap mag once I find one that is 7/8" (.875") wide.
Not sure on the stock yet but it will probably eventually be a Stockade but for now the tuperware
The rear sight will be a Williams Receiver Sight using a ghost ring aperature

http://www.tech-sights.com
http://www.tech-sights.com/BARREL%20ADAPTOR%20ASSM.gif

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16154/Product/_WGRS__RECEIVER_SIGHTS
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_962100037_1.jpg

The purpose of the rifle is for the problem animals I have in the area as well as just for fun. I will actually try shooting it at distance once it is done just for grins. I know it will be like shooting artillery at anything very far but I think it will be fun.

I haven't decided on a finish yet but I an thinking of bead blasting and doing a matte blue finish.

Dolomite

GaCop
09-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Looking forward to pictures of the finished product and an accuracy report.

Cycler
09-30-2009, 08:39 AM
This has the potential to really improve on standard .45 APC ballistics since your receiver/barrel combination will be much stronger than any .45 ACP Semi-Auto or revolver. You could give +P+ some real meaning and still have a safe combination. I believe there is loading data for a .45 Super round that is pretty much a souped-up .45 ACP and might be a good starting point.

What you obviously MUST do if you go this route is to segregate any of these rounds so they never find their way into a regular handgun.

dolomite_supafly
09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
This has the potential to really improve on standard .45 APC ballistics since your receiver/barrel combination will be much stronger than any .45 ACP Semi-Auto or revolver. You could give +P+ some real meaning and still have a safe combination. I believe there is loading data for a .45 Super round that is pretty much a souped-up .45 ACP and might be a good starting point.

What you obviously MUST do if you go this route is to segregate any of these rounds so they never find their way into a regular handgun.

I don't own a 45 ACP so I don't need to segregate. I plan on shooting heavier stuff so even if I do buy a 45 pistol they probably won't fit in a standard mag. I have some bullets used for saboted blackpowder loads that are the correct diameter and are 250 grain. Those will be used as a starting point for loads.

Dolomite

EFBell
09-30-2009, 07:48 PM
This thing screams 460 Roland!

yorketransport
09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Did you consider the 45 Win Mag? Either way this sounds like the perfect truck gun for those "targets of opportunity". ;D

Andrew

dolomite_supafly
10-01-2009, 07:10 AM
I weighed a bunch of calibers but decided on 45 acp so I can shoot the most common 45 caliber loading. I can walk into WM and buy ammo. I am also already setup to load 45 ACP and have a metric ton of brass. I should be able to load to Winmag levels if I use 45 Super brass or who knows standard 45 acp brass might work because the action isn't a pistol.

On another note I visited the shop yesterday. The .920 section for the Tech Sights was a little less that .920 so the barrel is going to be cut back a little more for a snug fit. It is done so hopefully I will be shooting it this weekend. I was able to measure for the rear sights and ordered them, I was worried about height but it works out almost perfectly and with adjustable front as well as rear I should have plenty of adjustment for zeroing.

It looks pretty good with the thick short barrel. I will be bead blasting then bluing it for a matte finish. If I don;t like it then it is already blasted for some sort of coating, more than likely Gunkote.

Dolomite

EFBell
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Just an FYI, you may already know about this. 460 roland can be loaded with 45ACP dies. The cases are much beefier (like 30-06??) and they are only 1/10" longer than ACP. they will fit ACP magazines and can be loaded to near 44 magnum levels. and of course can be downloaded to acp velocity. I understand your desire to stay with the standard case length. I came very close to buying the Roland Carbine kit for the 1911 frame a few years ago but alas, I cant afford every toy I want.

Cycler
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Just an FYI, you may already know about this. 460 roland can be loaded with 45ACP dies. The cases are much beefier (like 30-06??) and they are only 1/10" longer than ACP. they will fit ACP magazines and can be loaded to near 44 magnum levels. and of course can be downloaded to acp velocity. I understand your desire to stay with the standard case length. I came very close to buying the Roland Carbine kit for the 1911 frame a few years ago but alas, I cant afford every toy I want.

The .460 Roland case is made longer to keep it from being used in regular .45 ACP handguns, rather like the .357 and .44 Magnum cases to avoid use in .38 Special and .44 Special guns.

Given the strength of the OP's action, he could easily load regular .45 ACP cases to .460 Roland ballistics but will have to be certain they are never used in a standard .45 ACP handgun.

EFBell
10-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Cycler, 45 ACP cases are much weaker than the Roland cases as well as being shorter. I'm well aware that they were made longer to keep them from chambering in a standard 45 acp barrel since I happen to have one. Even though it is a bolt gun I would be very apprehensive to load standard ACP cases to those levels. Case failure is still quite likely in my opinion and I would not advise doing it. Of course your free to do what you want.