PDA

View Full Version : Savage custom shop?

Savage Phenom
03-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Looking at buying a 110 ba stealth and heard about the custom shop at Savage. Gave them a call and the lady who answered wasn't to helpful as to what I could have done to this rifle. She said I would basically have to make a wish list and she could tell me if it could be done.

I guess my question here is do any of you have a made to order stealth, and what did, would, or could you have them do to it if you were to be mainly plinking but also going to elk hunt 2 weeks out of the year.

PaddyD
03-02-2018, 09:02 PM
As simple as the Savage rifle is for the average guy to work on, You could probably get more for your money by just buying an off the rack rifle and doing most of the custom work yourself. It only takes 10-15 minutes to swap out a barrel. While you're waiting for that custom barrel to arrive you could have the action at a smith's shop to be blueprinted so as to get the best out of the new barrel. To be honest, that rifle probably will shoot as good or better than you or I can right out of the box as is.. I have a Model 12 LRPV in .204 Ruger caliber that with zero mods will put 5, 32 gn Vmaxes into 0.140" @ 100 yds. At least that is what it did a couple weeks ago. They usually don't need any custom work to shoot well.

tobnpr
03-03-2018, 09:37 AM
What is it you're looking for, that you won't get from an already "accurate enough" platform for your intended use- other than perhaps a barrel swap

The Drake chassis/Savage action combo really needs nothing off the shelf unless perhaps you shoot competition.

https://www.drakeassociates.us/savage-history/

J.Baker
03-05-2018, 10:35 AM
For a Stealth about the only thing you would really be able to do via the Special Order Dept. is have it chambered for a non-standard cartridge - so long as it's one Savage already chambers for. For example, if you wanted a M10 BA Stealth in .22-250 Rem or if you wanted a SS barreled action rather than blued, they could do that for you. There aren't going to be any different buttstock options or other accessories available because they can only offer you what they stock and use on other models.

tobnpr
03-05-2018, 11:24 AM
And for that I certainly wouldn't go through Savage due to lead time and I'm sure cost.
They're a production outfit.
All of the prefit barrel manufs offer many chamberings off the shelf, if you're looking for a wildcat or "oddball" one it's simple enough for a smith to get a blank of your choice (shouldered or with a barrel nut) chambered and fitted to the action.

SageRat Shooter
03-05-2018, 01:26 PM
The answer is: NOTHING... For plinking and Elk hunting the BA will be plenty accurate for either. I know a guy who has the 300 Mag on the stealth platform and I've seen him hit ground hogs consistently out to 925 yards.