PDA

View Full Version : safety issue axis

joebobsmith
03-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Hello. I'm new to this so straighten me out... I bought a new axis in 243win. Price and barrel replacement procedure is kinda why I picked Savage axis. But the trigger was not to my taste so I changed the spring. Oy the trigger spring. Worked/s grate... Except if you pull on the trigger with the safety on, then switch the safety to the fire position you discover that the safety is now the trigger AS IT DISCHARGES
So I was just wondering if anyone else ever had that happen? For the record lifting the bolt resets it. And it is repeatable. I have tested it dry several times. But that first time was frightening. Thanks in advance.

Evlshnngns
03-01-2018, 05:53 PM
What spring did you get exactly? Is this an accutrigger model?

My Axis accu-trigger model has an adjustable safety set screw. Over the set screw is marking paint/anti-tampering stuff. If you tightened that tolerance the trigger might have lesser chance of accidental discharge. Never had this problem, IDK. Some target triggers don't have a safety, when things get too light you can't trust them anyhow. When in doubt get a gunsmith.

joebobsmith
03-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Not an acutrigger I replaced the trigger spring only. It is about two and a half pound pull now.

sharpshooter
03-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Re-adjust the safety screw, its covered in yellow paint right ahead of the trigger return spring. Dig the paint off and use a 5/64 allen wrench to adjust.

joebobsmith
03-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Will do. Thanks

joebobsmith
03-03-2018, 01:05 PM
For the record one eighth turn in on the safety adjustment screw solved the problem. many thanks sharpshooter. Good hunting and God bless.