PDA

View Full Version : Barrel contour?

jraney
02-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Hey folks I need some advice. I’m wanting to buy a 7mm08 barrel. I don’t want a sporter barrel or a bull. I’d like something in between and somewhere around 24”-26”. Thanks in advance.

Newtosavage
02-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Nice choice of caliber. ;) If it were me - and I've come close to pulling the trigger on this a few times - I would get the Shaw barrel on Midway USA. The trouble I've had now with both a Stevens and a Savage 7mm-08 barrel is the chambers are tight. They show pressure signs long before my Tikka does and well before book max loads. Not sure why that is, but I can't deny it. I can safely take my Tikka to or even a bit beyond book max and still be just fine. The Stevens and Savage barrels show 50-75 fps. more velocity and early pressure signs by comparison. I wish I could recommend Savage barrels in 7mm-08, but I'd look elsewhere.

drybean
02-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Contact Northland shooter supply, they will have what you need

Rob01
02-27-2018, 10:39 PM
You want something like a med palma contour or a Rem Varmint. They are heavier than sporters but not overly heavy.

tobnpr
02-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Manufacturer is going to depend on budget (Shaw, CBI, Shilen, etc).
Once you've decided on the manufacturer based on your budget- just select from their standard available profiles. They're all different....

gbflyer
02-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Savage magnum contour is nice.

jraney
02-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Hey thanks fellas. I know budget will have the last word but I’ll just have to save to get what I want.

Phranque
02-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Here's Shilen's contours for Savage Pre-fits:

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

I've got a 24" S8 profile in 7mm-08, and it's a great shooter, but probably a bit heavier than you're looking for... Rifle was built for static position (bench/prone), and geared up (scope, bipod, silencer, empty mag) it tips the scale @ 18.25lbs. My guess, you'd probably want something like an S7.

jraney
02-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Thanks for that link phranque.

Cmgoff
03-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Here's Shilen's contours for Savage Pre-fits:

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

I've got a 24" S8 profile in 7mm-08, and it's a great shooter, but probably a bit heavier than you're looking for... Rifle was built for static position (bench/prone), and geared up (scope, bipod, silencer, empty mag) it tips the scale @ 18.25lbs. My guess, you'd probably want something like an S7.Dan Lilja has an article about barrel weight calculations, and even better, at the end of the article there is a link to download and Excel calculator you can use to compare barrel weight for standard contours or custom contours.

http://riflebarrels.com/barrel-weight-calculations-for-contoured-barrels/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OLEJOE
03-02-2018, 12:29 AM
I built a Howa with a Bartlein barrel with a 3b contour which is the same contour as a #5 Shilen. I wanted a heavier barrel but not a bull. The muzzle diameter is.720 at 26 inches. It’s heavy but the majority of the weight is between your hands and not hanging out in front. The profile is similar to a Light Palma contour. Just look it over. The decision is ultimately yours. Mine shoots very well for a hunting rifle. I’ve just started load development and I’m getting 3 tenths inch 5 shot groups At 100. It’s Chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

bsekf
03-02-2018, 10:15 AM
If you aren't going to shoot long range, go with a short fat barrel, like a 20 inch heavy varmint. There is a reason the BR guys shoot short barrels.

yobuck
03-03-2018, 09:53 AM
If you aren't going to shoot long range, go with a short fat barrel, like a 20 inch heavy varmint. There is a reason the BR guys shoot short barrels.

Do you think that might also have something to do with meeting the weight requirments?

bsekf
03-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Yobuck....... short and fat or long and thin that weight the same. Always go with the short fat. Unless you are trying to stay supersonic at 1000 yards.