PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 320: Issues with Stevens 320 shooting high

mnrobitaille
02-24-2018, 07:53 PM
Has anyone else experienced an issue where when shooting with the field barrel, the shot goes high compared to where aiming??

I went out clay shooting today, & one of the old timers noticed via both observation, & shooting a couple that the shot placement is high.

Robinhood
02-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Adjust the sights. Also if you are shooting strings with little time to cool the barrel this happens. Im not sure what a field barrel is un less it is the equivalent to a sporter. These are the limitations of a factory barrel that may have stress or a condition that causes one side of the barrel to heat or cool faster than the other side.

mnrobitaille
02-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Adjust the sights. Also if you are shooting strings with little time to cool the barrel this happens. Im not sure what a field barrel is un less it is the equivalent to a sporter. These are the limitations of a factory barrel that may have stress or a condition that causes one side of the barrel to heat or cool faster than the other side.

I have the 320 Field Grade/Security Combo, & the Field vent rib barrel is 28 inches, while the Security barrel is 18 inches. Between shots, as was clay shooting, I was pausing between shots with about 1-2 minutes between shots.

I have not shot any rounds through the security barrel yet.

J.Baker
02-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Could be a slight bow in the barrel, or it could just be a stock fitment issue, or it could be a bad choke tube.

mnrobitaille
02-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Could be a slight bow in the barrel, or it could just be a stock fitment issue, or it could be a bad choke tube.

I'm newer to shotguns, generally I shoot only handgun, so how do I check each of the three suggested?

NicfromAlabama
02-27-2018, 08:30 PM

Yeah, I learned a last year that there are several variables in making a shotgun shoot correctly. Fit is a big factor. You can even have a shotgun fitted to you. Some modern shotguns even have shims to allow adjustment of cast and comb.I patterned my shotgun last year and found I was shooting low and to the left. It seems to be pretty common for them not to shoot exactly where you want if you fit is off. In contrast, I shot my friends old Browning A5, and it apparently fit me quite well, as I hit clays easily with it.

J.Baker
03-01-2018, 03:43 PM
I'm newer to shotguns, generally I shoot only handgun, so how do I check each of the three suggested?

A good metal straight edge against the barrel will indicate if there's any significant bow in it. Shotgun barrels are thin walled (compared to a rifle barrel) so don't expect it to be perfectly straight, but you shouldn't see a big span that stretches 6-8 inches that that doesn't touch the straight edge.

On the choke tube, just try shooting with different ones installed in the barrel (assuming it came with Imp., Mod and Full tubes).

Fitment is more tricky, but a quick test you can do is to close your eyes with the gun at a rest position and then shoulder the shotgun like you're pulling up to take a shot. When you open your eyes you should be looking right down the vent rib at the bead. If not - if you have to lift or lower your head or shift your head a little left or right to get the proper sight picture down the barrel then you know the gun doesn't fit you properly.

Here's a good article that further details proper shotgun fit:
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2010/9/22/how-to-achieve-perfect-shotgun-fit/