PDA

View Full Version : Weather Warrior .308 temperature operating range; adding open sights; synthetic stock composition

clemente
02-23-2018, 09:15 PM
What is the temperature operating range of the Weather Warrior .308 where the rifle will be consistently shooting well for hunting? Particularly interested in low temp range for very to extreme cold shooting, and at what point on the low range would it require some type of winterization (lubricants, etc) or modification differing from original setup from factory.

Can it be fitted with open sights as a backup in case rifle scope is damaged? If so, how would a gunsmith mount these in the most permanent way for best durability on its stainless steel barrel under tough, regular usage? Any recommendations for what to buy in this regards is appreciated. Perhaps there is a better option for a type of backup sights (to the scope) instead of open sights?

What material(s) is the synthetic stock made of, and have users of the Weather Warrior had issues with breakage of the stock? My understanding at this point is it is made of polypropylene, if so is that a rugged material that will hold up to regular use over a good number of years? I've read that the low end of synthetic stocks are made from cheap plastic, and better ones typically have composite stocks such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc. Is the weather warrior a composite stock?

Durability, serious low temperature shooting and weather resistance (rain in particular as well as anything else weatherwise that can damage a rifle) are of paramount importance as I consider purchase of this rifle.

Stumpkiller
02-23-2018, 10:42 PM
The rifle is less critical than the lubes and amounts of lubes you use. The metal itself won't care to any temperature you could survive.

I have used sidelock muzzleloaders to -15°F (in NY primitive m/l always came after regular season in late December). WAAAAY too cold to sit out for very long. But I did. Gutting the buck was like sticking my cold, stiff hands in boiling water.

Look up "The Winter War" of 1939/1940 in Finland. Rifles work very well in the cold if you lube them lightly.

Robinhood
02-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Like stump killer said, unless your hunting on Titan the rifle will be fine. Thinner low temperature lubricants like the ones used in Alaska for cold temps. Aviation lubricants come mind. Colt temps will effect your point of impact. All needs to be tested.