PDA

View Full Version : Barrel & Stock Swap Help

Calcoyote
09-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, this is my first barrel swap. taking the old barrel off and putting the new one on took all of 10 minutes (or less). I still need to head space the barrel.

My problem is the replacement stock. since this was a barrel being removed from a 10FP, I needed a stock for a sporter weight barrel. The action does not fit in the new stock. They are both staggered feed and are identical except back by the safety. The sporter stock is squared but the 10FP tactical stock is rounded. Other than this the stocks are identical (with the exception that one is cut out for a heavy barrel and the other a sporter barrel).

Do I just open that squared end up with a rat tail file? Has anyone had this problem?

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy279/calcoyote2/IMG_2133.jpg

hailstone
09-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Had the same problem with some laminated stocks that I bought on clearance sale. I clamped the stocks too the drill press table then chucked a router bit in the drill press. Simple at this point to route down the necessary depth. If you don't have the drill press or access to one then a Dremel should work. Use a straight sided burr preferably but ball shape one will also work. Since you have another stock for comparison your good too go. Word of caution - the rear trigger guard screw is in that same area. You may want to remove it while doing this work to be on safe side.