PDA

View Full Version : Small shank WSM

want2ride
02-21-2018, 10:48 PM
I saw in another thread that there was one member here that put a small shank WSM barrel on an action. I was just thinking that I wanted a 7mm WSM and I have a small shank short action receiver. I was just wondering how much success you all have had doing such a thing. Thanks :)

Fordoldfart
02-21-2018, 11:51 PM
I have done it. I made a 358 WSM (sambar) and used a 7 mag small shank action. No issues it shoots fine.

bsekf
02-22-2018, 11:41 AM
I believe the reason for using a large shank with a belted mag is because of the pressure and safety. You just don't have as much material with the Mag bolt head and small shank. So....... just keep your loadings on the lighter side. I would think a 6 or 6.5 WSM would be neat!

Bill

geargrinder
02-23-2018, 09:12 PM
I've done a ton of WSM and RUM's on small shanks. No problems, hot loads or not.

It doesn't have anything to do with the bolt head or belted mags (RUM and WSM's don't have belts).

It has to do with the amount of barrel material in front of the action. It provides a bit more capacity to retain the pressure. Even then, there are very very few(none that I've read or heard first hand) reports of any issues with these larger cases being used in small shank actions.