PDA

View Full Version : Stock for a 111 7mm Rem Mag

cook1536
02-20-2018, 05:09 PM
I recently bought a 111 in 7 Mag and am going to be putting an aftermarket barrel on and I am in search of stock brands that offer for center feed, DBM, long action rifles with heavy contoured barrels weather it is straight cut or heavy varmint/bull contours. I have looked at all the obvious brands but don't know if there is something out there that I am not aware of. I'm trying to stay under $300.00 so Manners and McMillan's are out. I have looked at Choates and like the looks of Boyd's Pro Varmint laminates and am not into chassis'

thanks cook1536

SageRat Shooter
02-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Boyds Pro Varmint is a great stock in my opinion... I have one on my 260 Rem long range setup. It is a little on the heavier bulky side I will say though... For hunting stocks, I went with the Prairie hunter myself, but the Heritage I now like more.

cook1536
02-20-2018, 05:37 PM
i really like the Boyds Pro as well but after emailing them they don't offer it or the At-One to fit my gun with a heavy barrel

SageRat Shooter
02-20-2018, 05:54 PM
i really like the Boyds Pro as well but after emailing them they don't offer it or the At-One to fit my gun with a heavy barrel

I've never ordered anything but Factory barrel channel, and never will. A 5/8" dowel and sand paper are perfect for opening up the channel to accommodate whatever barrel taper you have. My suggestion is, go with the PV if you like it, and add the cheek riser gadget to it.

I find the At-One "Gimmicky"... I'm also a lefty shooter, so I never get an offering that is just drop in fit, like most righty shooters. I always have to modify something....

cook1536
02-20-2018, 06:00 PM
I've never ordered anything but Factory barrel channel, and never will. A 5/8" dowel and sand paper are perfect for opening up the channel to accommodate whatever barrel taper you have. My suggestion is, go with the PV if you like it, and add the cheek riser gadget to it.

I find the At-One "Gimmicky"... I'm also a lefty shooter, so I never get an offering that is just drop in fit, like most righty shooters. I always have to modify something....

I wondered that about the at-one...the grip looks really square if your not using the target grip.

cook1536
02-20-2018, 06:01 PM
The channel is easy enough to open up.

im for doing that so long as there is enough material so that it doesn't look like its been hacked on

SageRat Shooter
02-20-2018, 06:09 PM
im for doing that so long as there is enough material so that it doesn't look like its been hacked on

There is plenty of meat around the Barrel channel on the PV model. I have a CBI Varmint Contour (.90) at the muzzle and there is still plenty of meat left... A Bull Barrel will fit and still have a little bit left. That heavy barrel will probably NOT fit in the Heritage or Prairie Hunter though... They will only accommodate up to a Lite Varmint or Heavy Sporter contour.

SageRat Shooter
02-20-2018, 06:20 PM
I wondered that about the at-one...the grip looks really square if your not using the target grip.

The other thing about the At-One I don't like: The forend is held on by the Sling stud screws (It appears anyway) so you can't take the screws out if you want to make it (exclusively for shooting off bags). The screws appear to be located right in the spot where I would want it setting on bags...

cdherman
02-20-2018, 10:09 PM
There is plenty of meat around the Barrel channel on the PV model. I have a CBI Varmint Contour (.90) at the muzzle and there is still plenty of meat left... A Bull Barrel will fit and still have a little bit left. That heavy barrel will probably NOT fit in the Heritage or Prairie Hunter though... They will only accommodate up to a Lite Varmint or Heavy Sporter contour.

Should anyone doubt that the Prairie Hunter (and probably Heritage too) should NOT be expected to accept a bull barrel, I can tell you that in a fit of wood working stupidity, I opened out my Prairie Hunter to accept an M24 Bartlein. Gun shoots well, and looks STUPID.

And it probably will shoot better once I put a heavier stock on it. After all the front wood was removed, there is flex now.

Ya live and ya learn. It was my first personally pillar bedded stock, and I was proud of that job. Now its basically firewood.....

RustyShackle
02-21-2018, 02:19 AM
Should anyone doubt that the Prairie Hunter (and probably Heritage too) should NOT be expected to accept a bull barrel, I can tell you that in a fit of wood working stupidity, I opened out my Prairie Hunter to accept an M24 Bartlein. Gun shoots well, and looks STUPID.

And it probably will shoot better once I put a heavier stock on it. After all the front wood was removed, there is flex now.

Ya live and ya learn. It was my first personally pillar bedded stock, and I was proud of that job. Now its basically firewood.....

I’ll take it at firewood price! A cord of firewood is 128 cubic feet. Going price around here is about $200 a cord for premium stuff. Not sure how many cubic feet a stock actually occupies but probably somewhere below or around a cubic ft. Some quick numbers in my head says about $1.60 is fair? =)

cook1536
02-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!!! I will probably go ahead and order the PV and use it until i order the heavy barrel, then i can open it up

SageRat Shooter
02-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!!! I will probably go ahead and order the PV and use it until i order the heavy barrel, then i can open it up

That's what I did... Mine was originally a 270 win, so I ordered the PV and slapped it on and shot it while I was waiting for my 260 Rem CBI barrel to be delivered.

Good luck to you, It's an addiction though just warning you... :-)

cook1536
02-21-2018, 02:37 PM
That's what I did... Mine was originally a 270 win, so I ordered the PV and slapped it on and shot it while I was waiting for my 260 Rem CBI barrel to be delivered.

Good luck to you, It's an addiction though just warning you... :-)

lol...i got addicted a few years ago when I started on my 10/22, then went to a Remington 700 .223 and now this Savage 7 mag...its a vicious cycle

BB68
02-21-2018, 08:03 PM
fun cycle! No matter how deep you get.