PDA

View Full Version : Need a gunsmith to redrill scope mount holes

JeepsAndGuns
02-18-2018, 10:31 AM
I have a model 10 action I am need of the scope mount holes being redrilled. The factory holes are slightly canted, so I want them redrilled perfectly true. Easiest would probably be to redrill and tap to 8-40. So I am looking for a smith who has a V-block that they can bolt the receiver into so that it is held correctly for the new scope holes to be perfectly vertical and on the same vertical axis as the action screws.
There are not any local smiths I would trust with this. It is a bare/stripped receiver right now, so no need to worry about barrel being in the way.

ghostdncr
02-18-2018, 11:07 AM
I went through this with a Winchester Model 70 just a few weeks ago and it was a tricky job. Instead of grinding an end mill down to the #8-40 pilot drill diameter, I cut off a #28 high-speed drill bit just where the flutes start and sharpened it flat. Chucked up close in the milling machine, it served as an acceptable cutter but could've been better. If I ever do this again, I'll grind a 5/32" end mill down to .140" and make the job easier. I've heard this 8-40 job referred to as the M40 scope base upgrade, as it's supposedly been done to every M40 sniper rifle the USMC has ever built. In spite of that, I don't know of a single 'smith out in the private sector who does it.