PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick Boyd stock questions.

freediver111
02-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Yes, I’ve read several how-to’s and get the idea, but have a couple quick questions on bedding the stock.

Do you remove material around the recoil lug/action screw areas before bedding?

I’m going to pillar bed and bed the areas from the recoil lug to the action screw just in front of the tigger. I’ve read that going beyond that to the rear is not necessary or a good thing with Savages.

Do you generally remove material in the tang area as well or leave it be?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyShackle
02-16-2018, 12:22 AM
I leave the tang area alone. I also haven’t pillared the stock. I skim be the front which doesn’t really require removal of material, it mostly provides the recoil lug with good fit. Get some soft non hardening clay and dam up the areas you don’t want bedding compound running into. I bed to the edge of the magazine well on the front and then under the bbl nut. Wrap plastic wrap around nut and barrel, this prevents bedding compound from entering the grooves in the nut, and makes for easy cleanup afterward.

olddav
02-16-2018, 12:26 AM
One of the best articles on pillar bedding I have seen.
http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html
I know this doesn't answer your question directly but I believe the info you are looking for is contained in the article.

Zero333
02-16-2018, 03:24 AM
It's not easy to pillar bed the rear but I've done it.

Trick is to make the pillars and assemble the rifle with the pillars and bottom metal before the bedding to make sure they're not too high or too low so the bolt picks up the cartridges properly. And the trigger/sear work properly. To dry fit the pillars I assembled the rifle/pillars and bottom metal/magazine with out the stock to verify everything is working properly.

Sometimes you might have to remove a little wood from the stock in the bottom metal area to make the stock thinner so the bolt is not too high and has trouble picking up the cartridges.

Don't bed pass the rear pillar. Make sure the tang doesn't touch the stock either.

Watch as many videos as you can handle on pillar bedding rifles with magazines. Single shot rifles are child's play to glass bed compared to some repeaters.
Rem700's are easier to bed than Savages.