PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Model 5 Bolt Issues

Dalfin50
02-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Found a nice enough Model 5 that cleaned up well, but it has an annoying problem--the bolt will come out when cycling. Still shoots well enough but apparently something has worn to the point that the bolt doesn't catch (where you would ordinarily have to pull the trigger to remove the bolt from receiver). Common problem with a reasonable fix, or do I just live with it? Looking at all the websites for replacement bolt (numrich, brownells, Gun parts)... figures bolt cheaper than gunsmith labor to rebuild...

Thanks so much!

Scott

Sav22
02-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Are you sure it's the bolt and not the front edge of the sear? Looks at the contacting surfaces on the bolt and sear to see if one or both are worn - you might be able to just touch the edges up a little with a file to get then to catch.

Dalfin50
02-15-2018, 12:04 AM
Thanks for that... I ordered a new sear from Numrich just in case... the bolt has a nice wear on it though... i’m Hoping a little touch up with a dremel might do it... Let’s see. I can’t believe there isn’t more info on these rifles. Found one YouTube video and a few articles/forum posts... ☹️

Big Al1
02-15-2018, 10:36 AM
My first thoughts were the bolt stop!! There's a definite lack on information on a lot of these old timers.

Dalfin50
02-16-2018, 09:38 AM
My first thoughts were the bolt stop!! There's a definite lack on information on a lot of these old timers.
So true regarding the lack of info... it shoots but I have to be careful cycling it... Love the simplicity and the 24” barrel... The old furniture is also a nice draw!

Sav22
02-16-2018, 10:48 AM
My first thoughts were the bolt stop!! There's a definite lack on information on a lot of these old timers. The bolt stop is integral with the sear, the other side of the sear is the bolt stop. I would also look to see if someone tried to reduce the sear engagement to get a lighter trigger pull, this could position it low enough to allow the bolt to slip by.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/65783.jpg