PDA

View Full Version : Best paint for stock

PaddyD
02-13-2018, 04:15 PM
I have a Choate Varmint stock. Looking for a spray paint that won't flake off. Ideas?

big honkin jeep
02-15-2018, 12:58 AM
I have been useing Rustoleum camo paint on synthetic stocks for years. I usually top coat it with Testors Dull Coat lacquer. Whatever paint you use prep is the key, I always clean the stock very well first with denatured alcohol and suggest you do the same. Cuts oils and grease and quickly dries with no residue. Not sure how to quantify "best paint" but it hasn't failed me yet, no flaking after several years of use and goes on just fine. Heck I even used Rustoleum camo paint on the black nylon sling on the little carbine and I have been shocked how well it worked and how well it's held up.
4564 4565

snowgetter1
02-15-2018, 03:16 PM
I use small grit sandpaper to rough up plastic stocks then wipe down with denatured alcohol. Any spray paint will work. I always finish paint with a flat clear coat.

gbflyer
02-15-2018, 11:34 PM
Axalta Mastertint Vinyl. They also make a plastic prep cleaner for it which is key. Awesome stuff.

DrThunder88
02-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Just about any spray paint will work. Degreasing the stock is key. I use brake cleaner on injection molded nylon. The other key is clearcoat. I've always made sure the paint and the clearcoat are the same brand, but as long as you don't apply lacquer over enamel it should be okay. Just get all coats, including the clear coat, applied within an hour (or whatever the manufacturer specified on the label) of the first coat.

Haiku_Rodney
02-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Back when they did not have paints designed for use on plastic I used to prime with a shellac based primer. Then paint.

Tempest
03-01-2018, 12:59 PM
The guy that paints my stocks uses urethane base/clear, catalyzed automotive paint. Primed with epoxy primer. Extremely durable. Costs a little more but will last a very, very long time.

Esedan
06-14-2018, 06:46 AM
I've used some Shraphnal and they were good. And we tried some Wack Paintballs from ****s Sporting goods (or Richards). Those were very good to me.

J&J are a good upgrade barrel for the Pilot. My friends dad uses a J&J with Monster balls, (not the best) and they work well for him. Go to your local shop, they'll have some barrels for you to look at.

snowgetter1
06-15-2018, 01:52 AM
I've used some Shraphnal and they were good. And we tried some Wack Paintballs from ****s Sporting goods (or Richards). Those were very good to me.

J&J are a good upgrade barrel for the Pilot. My friends dad uses a J&J with Monster balls, (not the best) and they work well for him. Go to your local shop, they'll have some barrels for you to look at.
What???

Robinhood
06-15-2018, 04:56 PM
He's from jersey.
Aluma-Hyde sticks and stays.

yobuck
06-17-2018, 09:22 AM
He's from jersey.
Aluma-Hyde sticks and stays.

Youse miss spelled (Joisey.)
Apperently a good place to get your stock whacked. lol

Robinhood