PDA

View Full Version : New to 6.5 CM Advice

Pages : [1] 2

SouthernStyle
02-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Hey Guys,

Purchased my first rifle in 6.5 CM with the most recent Cabela's Savage 12FV deal.

I have no experience with 6.5CM. If you can humor me, based on your experience, what would you recommend starting out with regarding brass, bullets, powder, etc if the objective is pure group size, 100-400 yards? This is strictly a range gun to play with and no competition. Might occasionally try to ring steel at longer distances for fun. Plan is to bed the current stock and eventually upgrade to an after-market stock if warranted.

For you guys with extensive 6.5 experience, what would your top 2 or 3 recommendations be for a 6.5 CM newby like myself for each:
1) Brass
2) Small Primer or Large?
3) Bullet weight and brand
4) Powder (I have Varget, IMR 4350, IMR 4895, H380 on-hand at moment)

Will initially set it up with EGW base, Burris XTR rings and throw a Nitrex TR2, 3-15x42 (same as Weaver GS) just because I have it laying around.

(Yes, I understand that each gun is unique, results will vary, etc. Just looking for best recommendations for a starting point.)

Thanks for any feedback!

SageRat Shooter
02-12-2018, 05:49 PM
6.5 Creed Brass: Lapua is the best, Norma, then Hornady as I rate it. Others may differ. I use large rifle primers (I shoot a 260 Rem) Bullets: Berger, Sierra, and Hornady are my 3 suggestions. I'm using the 143 Hornady ELD-X in my 260 as it is a hunting round, but the ELD-M (match) bullets come in a 130, 140, and 147 grain weight. Powder: H4350, IMR 4350, R-17, R-16, R-26, H4831 (R stand for Reloader) all work well, but you have to decide which one your rifle likes best.

But these should get you a starting point.

SouthernStyle
02-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback SR - I've only seen Lapua for 6.5CM available in Small Rifle primer pocket. I've used Lapua in .308 and it is the best brass i've used. Prefer not to go to the SR primers unless there is a significant accuracy benefit.

SageRat Shooter
02-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback SR - I've only seen Lapua for 6.5CM available in Small Rifle primer pocket. I've used Lapua in .308 and it is the best brass i've used. Prefer not to go to the SR primers unless there is a significant accuracy benefit.

Well Crud, Sorry, I though the Lapua 6.5 CM would be the same as the 260 Rem brass (LR primer) maybe Norma then?

NicfromAlabama
02-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Just curious why you would not want to use a small rifle primer? I ask because that is the only brass I have bought for my Creedmoor and was wondering if there was something I might be missing. I assume you would rather just use large primers due to logistics/preference and etc. Admittedly, I have not shot what I have loaded yet.

I have read that one reason for Lapua using small primers is that the primer pockets will hold up for more reloads, especially since people tend to load Creedmoor on the upper end.

SouthernStyle
02-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Just curious why you would not want to use a small rifle primer? I ask because that is the only brass I have bought for my Creedmoor and was wondering if there was something I might be missing. I assume you would rather just use large primers due to logistics/preference and etc. Admittedly, I have not shot what I have loaded yet.

I have read that one reason for Lapua using small primers is that the primer pockets will hold up for more reloads, especially since people tend to load Creedmoor on the upper end.Nothing more than preference since I don't use SR primers in anything else and have a large supply of LR benchrest primers. I know the argument is better ignition with SR and smaller velocity SD/ES but is that proven?

What bullets/powder are you starting with Nic?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Stumpkiller
02-12-2018, 10:18 PM
My understanding is that the small primers and smaller vent hole of Lapua brass allow higher pressures. But if you need those maybe you need a larger cartridge?

NicfromAlabama
02-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Nothing more than preference since I don't use SR primers in anything else and have a large supply of LR benchrest primers. I know the argument is better ignition with SR and smaller velocity SD/ES but is that proven?

What bullets/powder are you starting with Nic?

From little I have read looking around, many have stated that there was no noticeable difference in SD/ES using small primers compared to large. Much of that was also referencing the .308 Palma brass. I did not read up on it that much. I think the main attraction is longer primer pocket life and higher pressures as Stumpkiller mentioned.

I have ladder loaded some Hornady 140 grain ELD Match bullets with Hodgdon 4350 in the Lapua brass. But, I have not shot any rounds yet.

RustyShackle
02-12-2018, 11:01 PM
I just bought a box of Nosler match ammo 140 cc hpbt ammo to try in mine. It might be a little while before I get to a range but I’ll let you know how things perform when I let some fly. Depending on what I find, I might buy the components to reload. It is my first 6.5cm but I’m not expecting things to be crazy different than anything else.

Texas10
02-13-2018, 01:19 AM
Shot my Savage 12 in 6.5 CM Saturday testing two loads out to 750 yds. Both used the 142 SMK and Hornaday brass. First group was RL-17 at 2900 fps, and second was H 4350 at 2750 fps. Jump for both was .025. The H4350 produced more consistent groups on steel at 750 yds in gusting winds and 38F temps. Altitude 1025 ft. The RL-17 shot flatter, but I missed the steel a couple of times and groups were more spread out. I also have Peterson brass in both large and small primer sized that I am trying out.

JW
02-13-2018, 07:32 AM
If you are in to experimenting: try some starline brass
Comes in small and large rifle primer.
I am impressed with it so far but only have 3 loads on it so far

SouthernStyle
02-13-2018, 07:36 AM
If you are in to experimenting: try some starline brass
Comes in small and large rifle primer.
I am impressed with it so far but only have 3 loads on it so farJW - which are you using, Small or Large?

PhilC
02-13-2018, 11:43 AM
What I did:

1) Brass Nosler (made by Norma)
2) Small Primer or Large? CCI200
3) Bullet weight and brand Nosler 129 AccuBong Long Range
4) Powder (I have Varget, IMR 4350, IMR 4895, H380 on-hand at moment) RL16 because I could not find H4350 or RL17 and did not have any other suitable powder on hand

Though I haven't had an opportunity for another range session since Jan 8th, and with just 12 factory rounds through the barrel for scope sight in, my first 3-shot group with the 129ABLRs produced a .932" gp at a laser ranged 185yds.

gbflyer
02-13-2018, 12:33 PM
I've been very happy with the Starline brass as well. I have the large primer pockets. Also using Norma URP powder. Found some on sale at a Sportsmans Warehouse.

JW
02-14-2018, 06:56 AM
I am trying the large primer right now

JW - which are you using, Small or Large?

Stuntjake912
02-15-2018, 11:28 PM
I’m running 200 peice of Starline small primer brass, I am really impressed with them.

Primers I am running CCI 450 mags

Powder I’ve tried Varget, IMR4451, H4350 and Superperformance. H4350 and IMR4451 are my most consistent at 1k yards. I cannot comfortably get over 2700fps with my loads pushing a 147eldm. Primers are still good and no cratering. I get ejector circles on the back of my brass.

bearcatrp
02-16-2018, 12:25 PM
If your using RL17, make sure your developing in the summer. It’s a great powder for the 6.5 CM but it’s temperature sensitive. Worked better that other powders for me when I had a 6.5CM. Switch to RL16 as it was developed to be not temperature sensitive.

Iowa Fox
02-17-2018, 06:23 PM
I ordered a 6.5 Creed barrel and probably have another 6 weeks or so before its done. I ordered 50 pieces of SP Starline to look and I'm going to order 50 Peterson to look at.
I was really looking hard at the 6.5 L because I watched a lot of shooters win matches with it. For sure I'm not going to get locked into a one supplier with a reputation for high prices and extremely spotty product availability so I went with the 6.5 Creedmore. Personally I think the cartridge is going to take off in popularity. I'll have a better feel in 12-18 months.

SCdawg
02-17-2018, 06:54 PM
last barrel I ordered I thought about switching from the .260 Rem to either the CM or the 6.5 x 47. In the end I decided that whatever advantages if any were worth a the investment in cases and new dies were igsignificant and satyed with the .260. Where I live 6mm is all in style and I admit I have considered a 6mm barrel but for right now the 6.5's are doing everything I want. So far with the .260 I have had low SD's with the 123 SMK's and the 140 grains SMK's and Nosler CC's with H4831SC and IMR4350 for the 140's and IMR4350 and Varget for the 120's and 123's in Criterion 8 twist barrels. Case volumes are about the same but case styles are different but from what I have heard the CM's load about the same

Robinhood
02-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Alpha makes great brass.