PDA

View Full Version : Where to get older magazines for "flatback" action

zloe
02-12-2018, 12:31 PM
In the process of building a 6.5 swede. Wondering if anyone knows were to get a magazine for long action older style flat back receiver.
Currently the receiver has a MAGNUM magazine, I don't think that would work. But I'm having trouble finding the older style magazines. I've tried Midway, Brownells, ebay. Going to call NSS today to see if they have any. BUT, am I just not looking for the right thing? Seems that there should be some parts for all the older style Savage 110s out there.
Any help is appreciated.
I do have a WTB/WTT ad if anyone is interested in swapping their magazine/bolt face with me.

drybean
02-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Try Gun Parts Corp.

gbflyer
02-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Can you bend your feed lips to make it work? The old stagger feed boxes are hard to find, at least for me. You might try a wanted post in the classifieds here.

I have converted a short action flatback to a centerfeed with a blind mag stock. That might be an option. This topic gets rehashed a lot, maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

RustyShackle
02-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Most likely you will have aquire the parts used from somebody on the forum or eBay. I think all of the parts inventory has been depleted.

zloe
02-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Most likely you will have aquire the parts used from somebody on the forum or eBay. I think all of the parts inventory has been depleted.
That just seems crazy. There has to be thousands of older savage long action rifles out there. makes me wonder if buying an older flatback action is a good idea or not.

zloe
02-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Try Gun Parts Corp.
Looks like currently they just have stocks according to my searches....

gbflyer
02-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Can also go the CDI route and use AICS pattern mags. Personally I don't like them on a hunting gun but that's just me. They are very dependable and it's a great company.

drybean
02-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Try Jack Frost gun parts

RustyShackle
02-12-2018, 03:45 PM
That just seems crazy. There has to be thousands of older savage long action rifles out there. makes me wonder if buying an older flatback action is a good idea or not.

I know. I ended up converting my stagger feed to center feed because I couldn’t find parts. I would bet there is someone out in the world that have the tools and technical ability to make a run of them. Just have to find them and convince them there’s a few bucks to made.

zloe
02-12-2018, 04:43 PM
I know. I ended up converting my stagger feed to center feed because I couldn’t find parts. I would bet there is someone out in the world that have the tools and technical ability to make a run of them. Just have to find them and convince them there’s a few bucks to made.
how difficult was the conversion?

zloe
02-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Can also go the CDI route and use AICS pattern mags. Personally I don't like them on a hunting gun but that's just me. They are very dependable and it's a great company.
Thought about that, but this will be a hunting only gun. Wanted to built it a little "vintage". But it parts are this difficult, I may reconsider.

RustyShackle
02-12-2018, 05:22 PM
how difficult was the conversion?

Not hard. I didn’t even file/grind out the rear of receiver like most do. I just very slightly bent the rear tab on the centerfeed mag tab. I then folded some cardboard and started test fitting it in my stock to see where it should sit. Once I was satisfied I got glued the magwell in place and assembled. Just don’t put hot glue along the sides as it will limit the natural flex in the feed lips.

zloe
02-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Not hard. I didn’t even file/grind out the rear of receiver like most do. I just very slightly bent the rear tab on the centerfeed mag tab. I then folded some cardboard and started test fitting it in my stock to see where it should sit. Once I was satisfied I got glued the magwell in place and assembled. Just don’t put hot glue along the sides as it will limit the natural flex in the feed lips.
Got any pictures of this travesty? :p
It very well may be what I end up doing.
Mind telling me what parts I would need to accomplish this after I take the MAGNUM magazine off the old flat-back receiver? magazine well, spring, follower... anything else?

RustyShackle
02-13-2018, 06:32 PM
I’ll take some tonight for you if you like!

I did did mine on a short action in a Boyd’s laminate stock. I used the magazine, follower and spring. I bought the clip that is usually used to secure the mag but didn’t use it. I’ll see if I can get some decent pics. I’m not sure on running the 6.5 Swede and magazine length etc.

zloe
02-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Pics would be very helpful, thanks.
I'm going to do long action for the 6.5 to get all the potential I can squeeze out of it, or want to get out of it, with handloads.
I do have a savage axis in 308 that I never use. might just put the barrel on the axis receiver and put it in a boyd's stock. seems like an easy way to do it. Too bad I ordered a wood stock for the 110 already.

zloe
02-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Let's say I want to purchase a staggerfeed magazine for a stock that is setup for "blind".
is this what I'm looking for?

Robinhood
02-16-2018, 12:26 AM
That looks like a DBM for a stagger feed. The blind box will have the follower and spring falling out of the bottom. On the long action the staggger feed is about 3/16 +or- farther forward than the CF. I would think a guy could shim the center feed mag rearward and dremel the action to fit. Seen it done.

zloe
02-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Thanks Robinhood.