PDA

View Full Version : A couple 110 questions.

OldDog
02-10-2018, 04:40 PM
I picked up a used 110 in 270 last year,and noticed the action screws were a little loose,so I snugged them up and the bolt was dragging against the one up by the recoil lug.I figured that someone may have replaced the screw in the past,so I trimmed it down just a hair,and solved the issue.The gun shoots very well,but the stock needs refinished..Today I bought a nearly identical one in 30-06 that has iron sights,and cheap Tasco on see thru mounts.The stock on the 30-06 has been nicely refinished,so I figured I would pull the scope,and mounts,and switch stocks and use the 30-06 as a truck gun.The same action screw on this one was also not very snug,and also wanted to rub the bolt when fully snugged.Does the wood in these stocks shrink a little,and cause this issue?..I also noticed that the recoil lug is just a little thicker on the 270 than the 30-06 .Did Savage use different thickness lugs on different calibers?,or could it indicate a rebarreling in the past.I can see a slight difference in the barrel finish and action finish on the 30-06,but not on the 270..I bought it (30-06)at a pawn shop,and have not shot it..any input will be appreciated thanks

Duckbill
02-10-2018, 05:07 PM
TAG...interested in the responses

foxx
02-10-2018, 06:31 PM
If the wood stock does not have pillars the stock can "shrink" due to the wood compressing under the screw.

It's not unusual for the front screw to be too long for some stocks. Never observed whether it mattered what material the stock was made of.

Yes, the recoil lug could have been swapped out, I don't think Savage has ever changed their recoil lug thickness.

olddav
02-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Just so I can get involved; what "foxx" said!

OldDog
02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks folks. I have done all the switching of the stocks,and took off the see thru mount,and plan on doing some shooting with it tomorrow.

Robinhood
02-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Actually Savage did use thinner recoil lugs at one time. I don't know the models or time frame but I am witness.

sharpshooter
02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Lugs could vary from .150" to .190". Seems to me the thinner ones were 1980's vintage. Savage always seems to find parts the were swept under the rug at some point, but still utilize them putting guns together. I once got 2 new rifles in with consecutive serial numbers, but they had 2 distinctly different bolt handles, one being a style they used 15 yrs earlier. Most of these parts are mechanically the same, but cosmetically different.

OldDog
02-11-2018, 09:15 PM
These two rifles are nearly the same,but there are slight differences when you look close enough ..The bolt handle is different on the 30-06,and it has slots for a flat screwdriver on the rear of the bolt and action screws the 270 uses allen wrenches.I also notice a little differences on the way the safety is marked.

Click swish boom
02-12-2018, 10:23 AM
My 30-06’s are both pre ‘68 have similarities but different screw sizes .10-.15 The fit is not interchangeable I attribute this to subtle stock variation and shrinkage. I think Savage used different size screws to get as close as possible on assembly. I’ve also noticed over the years my father owned these rifles, now mine, the screw heads have somewhat “deepened” into the stock. I’m no means an expert on these things but wanted to share with you my experience.

bsekf
02-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Stocks should interchange, but if one recoil lug is thicker make sure it fits correctly and doesn't bind. The rear of the lug should be TIGHT against the stock, but not bind.

Bill

OldDog
02-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Thanks.I did a little shooting with it today using some old CMP surplus ammo,and was pleased with it,I was shooting a black circle about an inch and a half diameter at 50 yards,and out of about a dozen shots I made they were all close to the circle,or inside it.I was having a hard time seeing the front sight,so I did not shoot any good ammo thru it yet,but I can tell it will shoot plenty good enough for my needs.I think the front sight has been replaced,becausr it is execptionaly thin,and is stamped with Lyman.I plan on painting it and hoping my shooting of it inproves..I shot the 270 just to make sure it shoots well in its new stock,and it still shoots very well.

big honkin jeep
02-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Sometimes folks overtighten the action screws and compress the wood leading to the bolt dragging you speak of.