PDA

View Full Version : new gun suggestions.....

Cereal Killer
02-08-2018, 08:44 PM
I have a Savage slug gun, .22 lr, .243, and a .270win American Classic which is my deer rifle and they all shoot great. With that said, I want another Savage, dont need, just want. Not reloading yet but will eventually. I am torn on what next. Kicking around a 7mm or 300win or the 300wsm. This is a gun I plan to match a nice scope to and just shoot at the range for fun to see how well I can do, with the possibility of a elk or wolf hunt someday. I know my .270 with 150 gr would work fine, but this is a want, not need. I like a nice wood stock and stainless steel barrel. My mind is spinning. It seems that a 7mag savage with their 9.5 twist and 24" barrel would be the next natural step up. But maybe moving to a .30 cal is what I should do? Do the 11:1 twist stock barrels take advantage of a heavier gr .30 cal bullets? If I go with a .30 cal I may have to ad a brake. Suggestions or input?

Stumpkiller
02-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Finding a wood stock with stainless receiver and barrel may be tough.

.308 & smaller short actions you could do it. I don't see any current offerings in 7mm, or 300Mag/WSM that would get you there.

6.5x.284 in the 12 Bench Rest? Sweet Ride. But even that's plywood.

bearcatrp
02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
What kind of distance are you thinking of trying your luck at? Used to have a 50BMG but back surgery put a stop to that. Tried 6.5CM but wasn’t doing anything much more than my savage 10t 308 did so sold the 6.5 for a sweet savage 110 338LM FCP. I still wanted a big boomer so this took care of that. Put a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 on it. Shot 1000 yards this past summer with both. 4/10 with the 308 but 10/10 with the 338. Am planning on trying 1 mile in the near future.
Figure your dream distance shot, then get the right rifle. I reload so am not shooting $5 dollar bills out of the 338. If you don’t reload, figure your costs for ammo. 300 win mag may be up your alley. But if you can afford it, you will love a 338 Lapua Magnum! Good luck.

Evlshnngns
02-08-2018, 11:32 PM
I have a 7mm mag, I don't shoot it for fun. A good recoil pad a muzzle brake would change that. I did buy a 300 WM barrel for it though. If your going to get kicked, go big.

L11.11
02-09-2018, 12:50 PM
As far as twist rate on the 30 cals, if you're planning to send anything heavier than 208gr (e.g. 225 ELD or 230 Berger) then you definitely need a 1:9.5" twist at least. A 1:9" would also be good, but the faster twist, the more problem you'll LIKELY have w lighter weights in the 168-180 range. They get over-stabilized and have terrible groups at closer distances until the bullet "goes to sleep". Then again, I don't have that much experience w these so take w a Gr of salt.

But those heavies really buff the wind more than the wind buffs them. That's the payoff w those heavy 30 cals. Maybe also consider a 300rum. But if you do that, you absolutely have to reload and you'll really want to do a custom barrel build. You don't have to buy a $1k action, just buy a $350 long action from Buds or wherever and put a high end bbl and trigger on it. In fact, if this is a "want" not a "need" gun and you'll be at the range mostly, I strongly recommend taking the time to build your own. It is not difficult w a 700 action and "remage" bbl.

But don't do a 300wsm w 225gr unless you have adequate length and twist to push em fast enough to stabilize. 225 is the outer edge *I think* for short mag. Ymmv.

...I'm actually curious what other folks think about this.

Edit-really consider whether your shoulder wants you to go w heavy 30 cals too. But if you thinking 338 edge/lapua then you're already in that range. I prefer 30s bc I have a 30cal suppressor and i have zero access to greater than 1k yard. I recommend stay away from 33 or 37 cal unless you got a place to shoot a mile. Capn obvious over here. I vote either 30 or 24/6mm, one or the other. If you want something w weight down range, go w 30. If you want tight groups on targets and nothing more (which is a helluva noble endeavor btw!) then go w 24cal.

Damn last thing, I love a SS bbl w wood grain stock. That's what made me reply. If you want that, you're gonna hafta build yourself. Maybe start out w a cheaper 700 action and nutmeg Boyd's stock, but spend coin on SS bbl and trigger....and scope. You may have to bed the stock but w the cheaper'ish action, it's not such a big deal if you cement it in there. A heavy 30 cal 28" SS bbl (w maybe a M24 contour or similar) and wood stock is like....man. Threading the muzzle may take away from the charm but I need a threaded muzz.

want2ride
02-09-2018, 01:18 PM
I have both a 300 WSM and a 7mm Rem Mag. I really like 7mm for basically everything, and if I was to get a nice, beautiful rifle it would be one of those. That said, both of my brothers took elk last fall, one with a 300 WSM and one with a 7mm Rem Mag. Neither one took another step after being shot.

If it was me buying a different elk gun other than my 300 WSM Bear hunter, since it is a little heavy for me, I would opt for a light 7mm Mag, that would be easier to haul through the mountains than the heavy guns I have.

That said, I don't think you can get both a stainless barrel and a wood stock on the same rifle from the factory unless you call them directly and custom build it through their custom shop.

Bunky-Shooter
02-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Beings you are trying to scratch an itch best option would be to build your own rifle. You would get what you want and accuracy would be great too . You would also learn plenty information on what makes a rifle accurate. If its primary purpose is going to be a range rifle a 260 Rem., 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x45, 6.5 Super LR would be way more pleasant to shoot
as a range rifle. Beings your thinking about getting into target shooting with a rifle larger than a .223 its gonna save you some money to reload your rounds... Take the time and
research what you are looking for cause it will be worth the wait.. The 270 you have is a good mountain hunting rifle cause it has killed whitetail, moose, elk, caribou, mule deer, antelope, dall sheep and grizzly... Build your own rifle ,you won't be disappointed...

Robinhood
02-10-2018, 08:59 PM
300WM for store bought ammo
7mm-300wm for reloading

Stumpkiller
02-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Still with us, CK?

Definitely get into reloading.

If you are looking for an elk and want something different - 30 Nosler or 33 Nosler. ;-)

If you want to have fun in reloading: .260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 26 Nosler. Get a load for the Norma 156 gr Vulcan or Oryx and an elk would take quickly ill.

Cereal Killer
02-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will definitely start reloading soon. I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Reloading Kit but have not had time to get started yet. I think the idea of building my own would be the way to go. Since I have a gorgeous walnut stocked 270, maybe I should go with a 300 min mag laminate or synthetic stock for nasty weather and just have an aftermarket barrel and brake put on it eventually.