PDA

View Full Version : Help an old man see better...

azlester
02-07-2018, 04:12 PM
I have an old 111 30-06 flat top receiver, staggered feed blind mag,with a non-accu trigger. For years I had used the old Simmons scope that the rifle came with with no major problems. But as I am getting older and my vision is really starting to suffer I need to change out the scope just so I can see a bit better.
A close friend is sending me a Millet TS-1 scope that he he's had sitting in his safe for years 4-16 x 50. I figure that 50mm objective has to be a brighter picture then the old Simmons 3-9 x 40.
What I need to know is how tall of a 30mm ring do I need to make sure it clears and is comfortable to shoot? Can I use the original 2 pc base or should I up grade to the EGW 1 pc 0 moa base?
Thanks for the time and answers

J.Baker
02-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Factory 2-piece bases will be fine. In fact, if your rifle has a blind mag you'd find the 1-pc rail to be a bit of a pain as it limits how much room there is for your finger to get in there and load rounds into the magazine if you have fat fingers. The big benefit of a rail is that it gives you more mounting flexibility for ring spacing if you have a really short scope on a long-action so you can still get the eye relief right.

As for ring height, you just need to do the math on what rings you have available to you locally or from where you like to order from. Medium height from one company might be comparable to a low or high from another company as there is no standard. Generally speaking you'll be looking at either medium or high. When in doubt order both and return the ones you don't use.