PDA

View Full Version : Best release agent

saskaguy
02-07-2018, 10:58 AM
I am going to do a bedding job on one of my rifles. I bought the wheeler kit and there is release agent in the kit but I am wondering if there is a better product to use. I see a lot of people using kiwi shoe polish. Does kiwi work any better than the stuff in the kit? Do you just wipe it on with a rag?

Charleslv
02-07-2018, 12:12 PM
I use https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-bedding-accessories/mold-releases/acra-release--prod1045.aspx

Yes it is pricy but it will do 100 stocks and it works it can get real expensive if you glue your stock to the action. It is the easiest product I have used and has never failed me. (Not I use steel bed almost for every rifle)

To be honest the biggest concern should be the Mechanical lock so Use tape and clay to keep that from happening.

RustyShackle
02-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Kiwi shoe polish works good. Make sure you tape the sides and front of recoil lug, tape around barrel to center bbl in channel appropriately and get some clay to dam up areas you don’t want bedding compound flowing into. A can of wd40 and Qtips to clean up should also be kept handy. I put a good layer of kiwi shoe polish over everything that might come into contact with bedding compound.

Stumpkiller
02-07-2018, 12:58 PM
"The Best" is going to be a mold release wax (like they put in a mold before spraying gel-coat and then fiberglassing a boat hull).

Any good hard paste-wax will do. I use Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or Butcher's White Diamond Paste Bowling Alley Wax (my Father-in-Law was a cabinet maker and left a can of this). Make sure to let it dry before setting in the bedding. Also make sure to plug the holes and gaps with modeling clay or plumber's putty. If the bedding gets a surface to create a ledge you will have fastened the action in place.

Ham Slamma
02-07-2018, 07:00 PM
StumpKiller is right.
Collinite 845 Insulator mold release wax is some good stuff!!

Nor Cal Mikie
02-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Use kiwi and be done with it!!

foxx
02-07-2018, 08:56 PM
These are all good suggestions, and i haven't tried the m9ld release stump suggested, but pretty much everyrhing else from Kiwi (can't see it) to car wax to pam cooking spray and rubber crap that comes with Acra gel to a few others. Charles' recommendation, Acra release, is my favorite, bar none. Its easy spray on and you wont miss anything. Expensive.

homer76
02-07-2018, 09:48 PM
I use Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish (it has wax in it) and it works great! Can't beat the price.

Bunky-Shooter
02-07-2018, 11:07 PM
I have always used Kiwi brown or neutral shoe polish. Works great !!! Yes put a fair amount on a rag
and rub, smear on all parts that will come in contact with your metal parts.

Blackthorn
02-09-2018, 11:18 AM
I use Johnson paste wax. Coat everything once and let it dry. I then add two more coats after that. Never had an action stick. I use gun cleaner to remove the wax when I’m finished. I use modeling clay to fill large areas I don’t want bedding compound. I put wax over the clay as well.

tobnpr
02-10-2018, 07:18 PM
All of them work.
I use mold release spray because of 100% coverage into tighter areas and speed (time is money).
On "rough" receivers like some milsurps, I do use a paste wax that will fill deeper machining imperfections or gouges that might be in the steel.

GaCop
03-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Another vote for Kiwi. I've been using the neutral Kiwi for 10 years now w/o any problems.

Newtosavage
03-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Not sure about "best" but I used Kiwi brown shoe polish with a light touch of case lube spray when I bedded two Ruger 77's. Didn't have the slightest problem.

Zero333
03-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Brownells spray on release agent is good stuff, and it's the easiest to apply (obviously).

Acraglass bedding compound kit comes with a release agent and it works very well indeed (just read instructions and follow them !)

teredpse
03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
I used shoe wax. worked well for me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

big honkin jeep
03-14-2018, 03:38 PM
old post

Fordoldfart
03-17-2018, 12:49 AM
I have a 50 year old can of Johnson & Johnson paste wax works every time for me.